Upgrade the sp2500 or other route?
Jan 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Enkaydian

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first post here, I have a quick question for you guys, i have had my Corsair sp2500's for a year now, using onboard audio, and im looking to upgrade soon, i was wondering if there are any sp2500 users who noticed a sound difference with a soundcard, and my other question is , how do these compare to the audioengine a5's, i know they dont have a sub, but if i go that route, i would eventually upgrade to a sub. any help would be appreciated. thx!

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 6
Going to bump the hell out of this thread to vent my frustration with the SP2500. The SP2500 has a monstrous amount of bass quantity but the satellites suck. Treble and midrange is OK for gaming but for actual music, they're terrible. They don't emit enough bass quantity at low volume levels so music just sounds dull (as the sub doesn't really kick in unless you max it out). Then again; gaming speakers. :p

Upgrade to a pair of monitors; I've noticed you're eyeing some Swans / Paradigm Shifts / Audioengines - go this route. I used to use a pair of JBL LSR 2325P coupled with an Essence STX card and it sounded amazing; though I had to repurpose them when I got other equipment and they just didn't fit on my table. 

I might be looking to get a pair of Paradigm A2s myself this year.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Hi guys, first post here, I have a quick question for you guys, i have had my Corsair sp2500's for a year now, using onboard audio, and im looking to upgrade soon, i was wondering if there are any sp2500 users who noticed a sound difference with a soundcard, and my other question is , how do these compare to the audioengine a5's, i know they dont have a sub, but if i go that route, i would eventually upgrade to a sub. any help would be appreciated. thx!

Enkaydian,

I think replacing your onboard audio with a dedicated soundcard could bring new life to sp2500

I'm using a lowly asus xonar dx with sp2500 and the the increase in sound quality from just using onboard audio is very noticeable.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT:
I'm using the dx+sp2500 combo for allrounder, gaming/music/movie, and so far it's good enough for me. Then again, I'm not expecting too much from this combo, was using onboard + cheap sonic gear speakers before.

I guess if more into audio/music, you could consider replacing the sp2500 with better, more music oriented speakers, but seriously, pls at least consider replacing your onboard with a dedicated soundcard/dac :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I am using the SP2500 with a Titanium HD. The speakers are beastly for their price, and anyone who complains about them either A. Doesn't have a high quality source or B. Didn't leave the settings to none and reference.

For music, it rocks. For games, guess what? It is amazing. For movies, again, very good.

Now this is all in my opinion, and keeping in mind that I got mine for 185$ and my Titanium HD for 95$....

How do they fair vs speakers that cost upward of 400-500$? What do you think? They are going to sound bad comparatively, but keep in mind that price to performance ratio!

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I am using the SP2500 with a Titanium HD. The speakers are beastly for their price, and anyone who complains about them either A. Doesn't have a high quality source or B. Didn't leave the settings so none and reference.

For music, it rocks. For games, guess what? It is amazing. For movies, again, very good.

Now this is all in my opinion, and keeping in mind that I got mine for 185$ and my Titanium HD for 95$....

How do they fair vs speakers that cost upward of 400-500$? What do you think? They are going to sound bad comparatively, but keep in mind that price to performance ratio!

A Swans HiVi M20w at $159 destroys the heck out the SP2500 lol....

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

A Swans HiVi M20w at $159 destroys the heck out the SP2500 lol....

forgot about those little guys...... Problem is.... its a bit hard find a set.....

And still, I honestly do think the SP2500 sounds very nice for the price, and I have listened to and have had in my house from 10$ to 100,000$ speaker systems, and honestly for 195$ the sp2500 is a fairly nice little system (not to mention that its a huge surprise from corsair, to release a speaker system int the first place, and for it to sound as good as it does)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back