Feb 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Soundbot

New Head-Fier
Budget is $1000

Current Gear:
HD650 +Cardas cable
Headroom Micro DAC & Amp
SPDIF from Claro Halo Omega

Just want to know which piece to upgrade next and best bang for buck.  Some important things to note are that I really enjoy the darker sound of the hd650's and I'm very sensitive to treble sibilance (ruling out anything like the hd800's).  Comfort is also important since I wear them usually for many hours on end.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Don't split up the budget. Get one really nice thing. Later, get another really nice thing. You can get a top-end DAC for around $1000 that's as hi-fi as it gets;  If $100+ is entry level, I'll call $400+ mid-level. And I'll call just about anything $1000+ hi-end. Don't split your budget and get more mid-fi pieces, go for a big-shot $1000 part that you won't need to replace, at least not until you go totally off the deep end and start thinking that $3000+ parts are what you need...   

Also, I wouldn't upgrade headphones from here unless you hear them in person first. You just can't be sure you'll like the comfort or sound until they are on your head, playing songs you think you know well. And headphones always contribute the most to the sound and experience, far more than amps and DACs. Be most careful when getting headphones, and do your research well. Your HD650s are already very nice, so you need to be careful that what you get is an upgrade in the ways you want it to be (comfort, sound signature, etc), and most of the factors from here on out besides simple clarity and detail are going to be very subjective, so your own ears are the best judges.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 7
@Timestretch - I agree 100%.  I'm waiting for another convention before I make a headphone purchase.  I am willing to invest the full budget into one piece if it will mean a big difference.

@MalVeauX - I was looking at the Schiit products and reading a lot of good reviews for them.  I could see myself going for the Bifrost Lyr combo or maybe just going for the Woo WA2.  

Between those two routes which sounds better to you guys?  Thanks!

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm in the same fortunate predicament as you, interested to see what everyone says. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 7

Simple - 2nd hand LCD2  - the logical end of route for the die hard HD650 lover. LCD-3 if you find a bag of
 money on the way home.

Your source, amp and even replacement cable suggests there is not a heap left to extract from the HD650.

Amp wise if you go down that road - tube - Woo WA2 or solid state - Violectric V200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back