Upgrade suggestions please - $800 budget
Oct 20, 2004 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

OracleGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I've been lurking for a while and am about ready for an upgrade.

I do my headphone listening at work. I've got a low-end (but not terrible) setup now on my corporate PC:

Foobar2K (FLAC or MP3 VBR max quality) -> USB -> Xitel HiFi-Link AN1 -> Headroom Airhead (2003) -> Senn HD497

Obviously I could stand to upgrade pretty much every link in this chain. One constraint is that my PC is locked by corporate I.S. so an internal soundcard is pretty much out.

Assuming my budget is about $800 USD, I'd like suggestions on how best to spend my money (something Head-Fi'ers seem to be good at!
biggrin.gif
).

Obviously $800 won't get a super high-end rig, but I should be able to make some decent upgrades. The question is what to upgrade and in what order.

Some ideas:

- M-Audio Transit?
- Senn HD580/HD600?
- Meier HA-1 MkII?

Someday:

- decent external DAC

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 19
Before we can start reccomending stuff, is there anything you particularly like/dislike about your current setup, and could you please describe what you percieve your sound and music preferences are? Also, instead of a new soundcard now you probably should wait until you can afford a good DAC and just use the digital out of the Xitel.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 19
The best thing you could tell us, first of all, is what your music preferences are. That way, you can pick a headphone, and build a system around that.

Edit: Mr. Radar beat me to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 19
Man you guys are on the ball!

I listen to a variety of music. I tend to listen to a lot of jazz because I find it focussing while I work. Mainly jazz with vocals, so e.g., Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Michel Buble and lots of older collections, e.g., Blue Note box sets, Miles Davis, Dave Brubek, Frank Sinatra.

I also switch things up and listen to older rock, e.g., Boston, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Alan Parsons, Dire Straits as well as newer stuff, e.g., Sting, Mark Knopfler, Blue Rodeo, Barenaked Ladies, Great Big Sea.

Not too much classical, mainly because I haven't collected too much classical music at this point.

What I like about my current setup is that it's WAY better than my Sony "Spiral Stree Style" phones plugged into my onboard (awful) Compaq audio. The audible hiss nearly drove me insane never mind the poor sound.

What I dislike: the HD497's get uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I'm sure the sound would be a lot better with better cans. It's hard to know without a direct comparison of course, but I feel that the sound is a bit muddy. Other than that, I'm pretty happy, but of course reading all the posts talking about high-end gear is making me think I'm missing out on some much better possible sound.

Thanks again for your help.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 19
I've gone thru 5 or so pairs of headphones (see closed can link below, i've lost found, add Beyer 770-80) looking for the perfect headphones for work. I've finally settled on the A900s (http://audiocubes.com). They're the best ballanced, best value headphones i've tried. That'll be your best upgrade.

You might also benefit from a source amp upgrade - despite what people here say a decent amp does help the A900s a bit. For you i'd look at the Headroom (http://headphone.com) total bithead (which i've never tried), which is sound card and amp in one. Then again your current source/amp is probably similar in quality anyway, so you might not bother.

If price is an issue, go for the A500s, which are reputed to be 80-90% as good as the A900s at just over half the price.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 19
Source: M-Audio Sonica ($60)
Amp: Headamp Gilmore Lite ($300)
Headphones: AKG K501 ($125), Beyerdynamic DT880 ($250), Sennheiser HD650 ($315)

Total: $485 - $675

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 19
You know what, for your music preferences, I think you could get a LOT of enjoyment out of an AKG K240 Studio. Add a Pimeta or a Headsave Classic ($150) to that and you've got a complete system (including your source) that's incredibly fun to listen to for little over $300.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 19
I've got a lot of experience with work setups. Here's the list of headphones I've had in my work setup over the last 3 years, in order of preference:

AKG K240S ($100)
Beyerdynamic DT-990 ($160)
Sennheiser HD580 ($150)
Stax SR-003 ($150)
Grado SR-125 ($150)
Sennheiser HD545 (discontinued)
Audio-Technica A500 ($100)

Only the A500 would I consider in a lower class than the rest. It's not bad, but doesn't have the detail of the better headphones on the list (HD580 and Stax SR-003), nor does it make up for the lack of detail with the fun factor that the Grados, Beyers, and K240S have.

All of the top five on my list do Jazz quite well. If I had to pick one as my favorite for Jazz it would probably by the HD580, although the Stax is very nice also. Grados excel at rock and any vocal music. The AKG and Beyerdynamic are decent with all genres, but not spectacular at any one.

You could also move up to the $250-$400 headphones like Senn HD650, Beyer DT-880, Sony MDR-CD3000, Stax SR-404 but I've personally found that the extra detail and refinement of these headphones are lost on me at work since I'm not concentrating much on the music when I'm working.

So assuming you spend around $150 for headphones, I would spend the other $650 on a tube amp and a non-oversampling DAC. Something like the Scott Nixon Chibi Saru DAC for $250 and the MAD Ear+ Purist for $415.

Edit: Forgot to list my current work setup:

Aopen Cobra AW850D soundcard -> TDA1543 non-os DAC -> Pete Millet Hybrid Tube Amp -> AKG K240s. Cost was about $450 including interconnects, but I did DIY the DAC and Amp.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
The AKG... [is] decent with all genres, but not spectacular at any one.

I have to disagree, I thought the AKGs were excellent with jazz and classic rock. But we all have our preferences.

Quote:

I've personally found that the extra detail and refinement of these headphones are lost on me at work since I'm not concentrating much on the music when I'm working.

This, however, is a very good point. But then why spend so much on the amp and source?

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I have a black gate modded sonica, I think they're overrated.

What would be preferable (aside from a DAC)? The Transit?

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 19
I'm going to tell you what i wish someone would've told me. GET STAX AND DON'T LOOK BACK.
I've seriously spent years trying out different headphones and so far stax are what make me happy.

I've listened to just about everything out there, and nothing really competes with the stax SR-404 at its price. There's nothing that comes close to the levels of detail and transparency you get with them. For 800 you could get SR-404 and an SRM-313 (solid state) or SRM-T1 (tube). There is also the 006t, but it costs about 1k and the SRM-T has the same topology anyways.

As for source, I'd go with chip-based non-oversampling stuff because it gives a nice natural sound. The cheapest one i've seen costs 135$ assembled (see link) and it uses the same chip as the 1400$ shigaraki dac.

http://www.diyclub.biz/catalog/produ...roducts_id=270

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 19
I think your setup is very nice right now, you're biggest problem is those HD497's, which aren't stellar by any stretch of imagination. I would get the Beyer dyanmic DT-250-250 or DT-250-80, Audio technica A900, or the HD580's. All are good headphones.

Incase you want a transit, i've got a transit I can sell to you. I bought it for optical IO but i've just come to realize the chaintech AV710 can do the same thing for me and I can pocket the difference. Transit sounds pretty good. Seems pretty neutral to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back