Upgrade Suggestions from a Beyerdynamic DT150
Dec 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Udit

New Head-Fier
I own a Beyerdynamic DT150 & they are doing great but they isolate me from the outside world. So are there any headphones in existence which don't isolate me but don't allow people around me to get disturbed by what I'm listening to?

I have a Auzen X-Fi Forte as my source which has a headphone amp & it can go up to 600ohm

Other requirements are:
1) Must be Closed Back (Keep my ears warm)
2) Must have a 3 to 4 meter long cord
3) Must be Very Comfortable (12hrs usage daily)
4) Must have good Sound Stage
5) Must have amazing bass
6) Must have clear vocals/mids
7) Must have little recessed highs

max budget: $1500

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by krucacing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that kind of budget, there is a lot of option, rather than just upgrading headphones. Based on your preference, i would recommend Shure SH840, it is good value for money, rather comfortable, the highs is not too much, with warm bass and mids, suitable for long period of listening.
BTW are you serious with straight 12 hours of listening, if you do it daily, i guess it might damage your hearing.

I wear them 12hrs & listen 2-3hrs
no iem please

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 6
Most closed fons that don't leak a lot of sound will also have reasonable isolation. We are talking degrees here, and a lot depends on how loud you listen etc. Having said that, the DT150 are amongst the most isolating headphones I have had (apart from IEMs of course), so I guess you could look at Ultrasones or move to supra-aural fons like ES7, ESW9 etc for less isolation. However with less isolation you find greater sound leakage comes as a result as a rule.

Based on your budget, ESW10, Ultrasone Edition 8 come immediately to mind, however there are quite a few that will be considerably less than your budget of $1500. Pro900 for instance aren't a bad compromise in the leakage\ isolation equation and will give you much better sound than the DT150 IMO (even though I quite liked the DT150 sound).

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most closed fons that don't leak a lot of sound will also have reasonable isolation. We are talking degrees here, and a lot depends on how loud you listen etc. Having said that, the DT150 are amongst the most isolating headphones I have had (apart from IEMs of course), so I guess you could look at Ultrasones or move to supra-aural fons like ES7, ESW9 etc for less isolation. However with less isolation you find greater sound leakage comes as a result as a rule.

I use low volumes
supra-aural hurt me
frown.gif

how are Denon D7000 & GermanMaestro GMP250?

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 6
ok guys forget the no isolation part

new requirements are:

1) Must be Closed Back & Circumaural (Keep my ears warm)
2) Must have a 3 to 4 meter long cord
3) Must be Very Comfortable (12hrs usage daily)
4) Must have good Sound Stage
5) Must have amazing bass (High Impact, Low Extension & Good to High Quality)
6) Must have clear vocals/mids
7) Must have little recessed highs
8) Should be Isolating
9) Should not leak sound
10) Good for Hip-Hop & Movies
11) Memory Foam, protein leather, cushioned leather or velour ear pads preferred

max budget: $1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back