Upgrade Suggestions for DT990 Headphone Setup?
Feb 11, 2012 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

plexxx

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in a new upgrade to help bring out the best in my Beyer DT990-600 Ohm headphones.  My setup is located in my living room and uses my AV receiver as my DAC.

Currently my main setup is as follows:

Ipod > Pioneer AV AMP via proprietary cable > Darkvoice 3322 Tube Amp > DT990

For CD playback:

Marantz CD5001 > Pioneer AV AMP > Darkvoice 3322 Tube Amp > DT990

I'm considering a dedicated DAC (DacMagic) and if I go that route I'd connect it via optical to the receiver and continue to use the ipod.

Pretty much all my music is digital high-bitrate MP3 and FLAC files. However, I don't like the fact that I cannot playback in FLAC with this setup.  

So, any advice on what would have the most improvement to this setup?  I am not interested in changing the headphones or Darkvoice amp at this time.   I'd spend about $300 for this next upgrade.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 2

Quote:
I'm interested in a new upgrade to help bring out the best in my Beyer DT990-600 Ohm headphones.  My setup is located in my living room and uses my AV receiver as my DAC.

Currently my main setup is as follows:

Ipod > Pioneer AV AMP via proprietary cable > Darkvoice 3322 Tube Amp > DT990

For CD playback:

Marantz CD5001 > Pioneer AV AMP > Darkvoice 3322 Tube Amp > DT990

I'm considering a dedicated DAC (DacMagic) and if I go that route I'd connect it via optical to the receiver and continue to use the ipod.

Pretty much all my music is digital high-bitrate MP3 and FLAC files. However, I don't like the fact that I cannot playback in FLAC with this setup.  

So, any advice on what would have the most improvement to this setup?  I am not interested in changing the headphones or Darkvoice amp at this time.   I'd spend about $300 for this next upgrade.

So you're effectively asking for a DAC recommendation since the Darkvoice amp and DT990's are staying put?

$300 for a DAC to top your current Pioneer is not going to give amazing results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back