Upgrade Suggestion from Schiit Stack + HD800
Oct 29, 2018 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kennykenny29

New Head-Fier
I currently run a Vali 2 + Modi 2 Uber with my HD 800. I can't scratch this itch to buy a new set upp. Budget should be around $600 ish or lower. Any suggestions for an upgrade? I'm current looking at a Valhalla 2 + Bifrost combo used or a Micro iDSD Black Label. What do you guys think?

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 7
I see you mentioned the Micro iDSD Black Label. Have you considered other brands? The Micro is a solid option, but there are a lot of brands that cater to this price range.

What connections in and out do you want/need?
Do you want tubes or solid state?
Do you want a new amp, DAC, or both?
If your whole budget replaced just one component, would you be okay with that?
Have you looked into other headphones?

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 7
This makes no sense... After you upgrade to slightly better setup, later on you will think about another upgrade... Better save up some more and get real high end setup than just buy step by step in which way you will spend even more...

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 7
This makes no sense... After you upgrade to slightly better setup, later on you will think about another upgrade... Better save up some more and get real high end setup than just buy step by step in which way you will spend even more...
Agree, I did that and wasted quite some money. There is one advantage tho, gained experience :.) And you might appreciate "better" stuff more because you know how all the other stuff sounded...
Still, if you are on a budget...good tip:.)

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 7
While your set is much more high end than mine I'm also thinking about an upgrade and wondering what the best strategy is. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that at least for me it's better to listen to a lot of headphones and other gear for a while and then deciding for myself what would be a (semi permanent) endgame set i'm comfortable with. And then work towards that? Maybe in your case that would mean saving at least double your current budget and maybe find something balanced I wouldn't know. Depends on what you want to achieve by upgrading too.

From what I've heard and read you shouldn't expect a night and day difference going from your current setup to anything in the $600 price range so maybe it would be better to save up a bit? Or take your headphone to somewhere you can listen to different amps/dacs?

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 7
While your set is much more high end than mine I'm also thinking about an upgrade and wondering what the best strategy is. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that at least for me it's better to listen to a lot of headphones and other gear for a while and then deciding for myself what would be a (semi permanent) endgame set i'm comfortable with. And then work towards that? Maybe in your case that would mean saving at least double your current budget and maybe find something balanced I wouldn't know. Depends on what you want to achieve by upgrading too.

From what I've heard and read you shouldn't expect a night and day difference going from your current setup to anything in the $600 price range so maybe it would be better to save up a bit? Or take your headphone to somewhere you can listen to different amps/dacs?
Sounds like a solid tip from this Dutchman :.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back