Upgrade: SR80 to SR ????
Jun 23, 2004 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nakedtoes

500+ Head-Fier
Thinking of upgrading from my Grado SR80 to another higher grado... what would be the next model that have the best value/ performance and yet the most difference from the SR80?? SR225?
orphsmile.gif
pls advice..

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 17
SR225 is awesome! I owned an SR80 for a couple weeks and hated the sound but the SR225 was a huge upgrade in terms of detail, impact, and fun.

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 17
hi,

i'd recommend that you go for either the sr225 or the sr325 in the prestige series. anything else would either be a. not much of a difference or b. too much of a jump.
tongue.gif

fyi -
sr225: immensely powerful mid-bass, fantastic mids, rolled off (or obscured) highs. warm and rich.
sr325: much clearer (some say piercing) treble, less mid-bass than the 225, roughly the same mids, narrower soundstage. a more 'exciting' sound.

both can be run off portable equipment ampless to insane volume levels, though i would recommend a good low-impedance amp to squeeze out that last bit of performance.

alternatively, you might want to look at a 'sideway upgrade' by moving to the alessandro line.
wink.gif

hope that helped.

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 17
Although I enjoy my 125s, from what I've read you should go for the 225s to hear a dramatic improvement.

EDIT- Let me add that you should also invest in flat pads for the 225s. They make grados sound the way they were originally designed to sound. That'll add another $35 (shipped) to the cost. The only place to get them is from Head-Fi sponsor www.toddthevinyljunkie.com. That said, you might try ordering flats first and see if they improve the sr80 enough for you to keep them (all in the intrest of your wallet of course
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 17
I used to be the biggest anti-grado guy. I owned an sr80 with the bowl pads and, though they were leaps and bounds above my previous headphones, they were the screechiest pair of audiophile headphones I have owned.

One day I heard them again, with the flat pads, and it was like a brand new headphone. From that day forth I was alot more open minded about the grado sound.

all because of flat pads.

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 17
I think the best Grado price points are:

SR60
MS1
SR225

(above I prefer other phones, and although I'm not a fan of the SR325, if build quality is important for you, your feelings may be different about it and the RS series)

If you're already at the SR80, I'd say SR225 (like everyone else). I made that jump about a year ago and it is indeed an impovement. More Grado, less Grato.

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 17
Don't count off the bowl pads though. There's a thread a few pages back about many people who actually enjoy their bowl pads more than the flats. I had bought flats with my SR-225s initially and never bothered to listen to the bowls because everything I had read seemed to suggest they were complete crap. However a few days ago (after reading the thread about Bowls>Flats thread) I decided to give them a shot. The sound is quite a bit different but I actually preferred it...it wasn't as muddy. So since then the flat pads have been in a box. I'd suggest you buy flats but rather than doing what I did, try out the bowls too so you can decide which sound you prefer.

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
Thinking of upgrading from my Grado SR80 to another higher grado... what would be the next model that have the best value/ performance and yet the most difference from the SR80?? SR225?
orphsmile.gif
pls advice..

I agree with the SR-225s being the most logical step up. However, are you using an amplifier? Eventhough not extrictly required, I would strongly suggest that if you are seriously considering on going up the Grado ladder, an amp would give you the full impact of the headphone upgrade.

I personnaly prefer the flats, but, you can try the bowls, senn "yellow mellow" pads as well, enjoy.

best!

Jun 24, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

alternatively, you might want to look at a 'sideway upgrade' by moving to the alessandro line.
wink.gif

Seconded. I recommend to make the SR-80's to MS-2's upGrado. I did it about half a year ago and never regret it.
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 17
[size=small]Why play around with intermediate upgrade options? Head straight for the PS-1's! Isn't spending other people's money fun?
cool.gif
[/size]

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 17
i have already use the yellow sen with hole cutted for the SR80.. and simply loves the sound... from all yr comments i might upgrade to the SR225.. thx ... do continue any more recomendation and comments ..
600smile.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 17
Just like everyone else I made a jump from sr80 to sr225. Result was very rewarding. One of the biggest reason for not sr325 was the comfort issue. I can't see myself suffering from a heavier grado on my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back