upgrade/sidegrade to hfi-780?
Feb 2, 2010 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

matt27

Head-Fier
any suggestions for an upgrade or sidegrade to the 780? I like them, but I want to try something new because they aren't very comfortable (even with the beyer pads) and the highs seem a little grating. and before you ask, I'm not really interested in recabling them
tongue.gif

I want to keep my budget under $300 if possible

sources:x-fi/victor su-dh1/maverick d1/xbox360/ps3

music: metal/rock/ambient/hiphop
open or closed, doesn't matter
I need some bass, not a lot but it can't be nonexistent like on the ad700s
icon10.gif

they will be used for gaming, movies, and music

the dt880 looks interesting but the apparent lack of bass concerns me.

thanks for your help!

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Denon D2000, Beyer DT880/DT990, Ultrasone PRO (650,750,900)

Can't speak for Grados so someone else will have to step in there
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 9
An S2 recable is fairly cheap..and I'm not sure why you don't think the beyer pads are comfortable. If the headband is the problem, just rip it off and add some sort of foam in its place. If you want a new phone though, to each his own.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 9
I own the ALO-780 and yes, the clamping force on my jaw just get annoying and does hurt when you concentrate on the pain but meh, I just try not think about it and toughen up
biggrin.gif
I hate the DT250 pads to death. Less bass impact and the high's seem to have been lost quite a bit. I love bass impact and extended high's that are to some, "grating/shrilling". Headband did hurt but I just got used to it after a bit and have the headband to 5 clicks (on headband, when you move it up like .3mm, there is a new groove for the headband to stay in, it clicks in place). Used to have it at 2 or 3
tongue.gif
. Beyerdynamic may suit you, the DT770 apparently sounds the worst from DT770, DT880 and DT990 but does have the most bass. The DT880 is the most 'neutral' of the three.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 9
I think i agree about the 780s having a weird place that they click in above the normal range of movement. I wear my 780s pretty loose but comfort is not really too much of an issue for me as i rarely listen to music for longer than a full album without taking off the headphones.

As far as your question i think some grados might fit the bill they are a similar kind of sound as the ultrasones. Well at least to my ear

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 9
I am buying some HF-2 soon and will do a review in 2-3 weeks. I doubt you will want to wait that long to get new cans but at least people can read my impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a feeling I won't be able to buy anything for a while after this purchase, as I will be broke once again
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back