upgrade: SA5K/HD600/ATH AD2000?
Jun 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

robinclp

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, to keep it short....

I'm a college student and on a limited budget

I don't have an amp at the moment and if I was getting one it would be a portable one (at least before I graduate and get a job)

I already have the e4c and sr80. I am quite satisfied with these 2 products. The e4c would be my last iem purchase and the sr80 would be my last semi-portable purchase.

I was hoping this would be my first & last full-size headphone purchase (if possible
tongue.gif
)... something that I can still enjoy now unamped out of my ipod classic and notice a good amount of improvement later out of a better source/amp...

I don't want to waste time/money on "in-betweeners" anymore... phones that were "good but not that good" ... my previous encounter was the superfi.3/px100... not high end phones but you get my drift

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Funny that you say so. I am cranking an ATH-AD2000 out of my iPod Classic with under 24 hours of burn in and head banging. It's the best AT I've heard, and the woodies (W Series) absolutely require a high quality amp. The AD2000 is the AT flagship and has provided more fun to me in under 24 hours than any other headphones ever have.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 6
yea...I've already read your thread actually haha... the problem is these 3 phones, actually 4 (including the denon d2000), have been said to sound good unamped and scale to greater heights later with better amplification...

the hd600 would be the cheapest solution atm (aprx. $300) while the rest are in the ($400-500 range)

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 6
I've seen a couple of people now, including a person I am currently posting to, who claim that the AT HA25d Amp/DAC is good with the AD2000, and it's only like 200 dollars as a future upgrade.

Without an amp, these honestly don't feel as if they aren't adequately powered, though I imagine there would be some benefit. It feels more as if the source is a problem if anything in my setup.

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by robinclp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, to keep it short....

I'm a college student and on a limited budget

I don't have an amp at the moment and if I was getting one it would be a portable one (at least before I graduate and get a job)

I already have the e4c and sr80. I am quite satisfied with these 2 products. The e4c would be my last iem purchase and the sr80 would be my last semi-portable purchase.

I was hoping this would be my first & last full-size headphone purchase (if possible
tongue.gif
)... something that I can still enjoy now unamped out of my ipod classic and notice a good amount of improvement later out of a better source/amp...

I don't want to waste time/money on "in-betweeners" anymore... phones that were "good but not that good" ... my previous encounter was the superfi.3/px100... not high end phones but you get my drift

The AD2000s are likely the most efficient of those 3... but... why not just be happy with what you've got, until you can spring for a decent amp to match whatever phones you might want to try. The SR80s are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back