Upgrade recommendations from DT1990 pro to ?
Oct 3, 2019 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

drummerdimitri

500+ Head-Fier
So I've had my DT1990's for a year now and I've been loving them ever since.

Only issue I have with them is with the S sounds as they are very harsh and almodst siblant.

I am looking for another pair of headphones that are as neutral as can be since I hate adding color to the music.

Prefarably looking to try a Planar Magnetic headphone as I've never had one of those and I've been offered to buy an Audeze LCD-4z which I will be auditioning soon but aparently it is far from neutral sounding.

I've also tried the HD800s and while the stereo imaging and clarity is fantastic, they sounded too clean and a bit thin and unexciting for me.

I'm looking for a headphone with a very similar sound signature to my Beyers but with no treble harshness in the vocals with more openness, clarity, instrument seperation and stereo imaging if possible.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Budget is 3k $ max.

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Mr. Speakers Ether headphone line is the epitome of neutral headphones in my listening experience. However, if you're looking for a great sounding pair of planar headphones, I would recommend the Hifiman Arya, Hifiman HE1000v2, or Hifiman HE1000se. Arya sounds just like the HE1000v2 with the latter having better build quality, whereas the HE1000se provides a little more detail in the highs but is a bit lacking in the lows in comparison to the other two. Arya is the best bang for your buck, though, and worth checking out.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 16
I, like you, at one point was a DT1990 owner and have since upgraded several times. I've had the Focal Elear, HIfiman Arya, LCD2 and the LCD4. All were a step up from the DT1990. I've also heard good things about the Ether, LCDX/LCD3, and the Autuer/Aeolus/Verite but have not tested them. I found the Focals to be much more dynamic and detailed than the DT1990's but a little thin in bass and slightly sibilant and fatiguing like the DT1990's. The Aryas were exceptionally comfortable, had no glaring weaknesses in FR, and had a HUGE soundstage. When testing them against both Audeze models, I first thought the Aryas were going to be the winner. As I spent more time with them though, I began to appreciate the more detailed textures and purity of the instruments/voices on the Audeze. Both Audeze models have very similar sound signatures, but the 4 is like the 2 on steroids. Everything is better and it just gives you more detail and goosebumps when you listen. Going back to the Aryas, I felt like there was a slight artificialness to the sound and presentation. Almost like they were trying to pull off a parlor trick to make the soundstage as big and open as possible. It will wow you at first though. The Audeze did not have that initial wow factor for me but won in the end. If you have any additional questions let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Oct 14, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 16
So after having owned the LCD-4z's for a week now, I'm ready to sell/trade them for something else.

They're way too dark for my taste and lack that airiness and sparkle the DT1990's have even though they are superior in bass, the Beyers represent music more naturally which is my prefered sound signature.

Not a fan of the Hifiman's design honestly so will skip those. What other TOTL open, neutral headphones are worth my consideration? I've been hearing great things about the Meze Empyreans. What about the HD800s? Are they still too lean?

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 16
I love my DT1990s, best sounding headphone I own, but am always curious about the next upgrade. I’d like to hear the T1 and the HD800 next. Thought about Audeze a few times, but people seem to say they’re dark sounding so that puts me off a bit. Anyway prefer tube amps to run my headphones so will probably end up with the T1 as well as the dt1990 for keepers.

Oct 14, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 16
I love my DT1990s, best sounding headphone I own, but am always curious about the next upgrade. I’d like to hear the T1 and the HD800 next. Thought about Audeze a few times, but people seem to say they’re dark sounding so that puts me off a bit. Anyway prefer tube amps to run my headphones so will probably end up with the T1 as well as the dt1990 for keepers.

I tried the T1's and use to have the HD800 and they both sounded thin. The DT1990 is just so well rounded that it's safe to call it the jack of all sounds if you like.

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 16
So after having owned the LCD-4z's for a week now, I'm ready to sell/trade them for something else.

They're way too dark for my taste and lack that airiness and sparkle the DT1990's have even though they are superior in bass, the Beyers represent music more naturally which is my prefered sound signature.

Not a fan of the Hifiman's design honestly so will skip those. What other TOTL open, neutral headphones are worth my consideration? I've been hearing great things about the Meze Empyreans. What about the HD800s? Are they still too lean?

The Meze Empyreans are just as dark as Audeze headphones and it’s a shame that you rather judge the Arya by looks instead of sound and comfort because they excel in both and are exactly what you’re looking for in sound signature.

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 16
The problem with choosing headphones is that it's almost impossible to buy them based on people's opinions of them because to one they might seem dark and to another they might sound neutral.

I want the most neutral headphones possible such as my DT1990's but on steroids if that makes any sense and so far I've been offered to trade them with either Empys or the Abyss Phi 1266 so out of the two which one is more suitable for my needs? I will be using my Questyle CMA400i as my DAC/AMP in case that makes a difference.

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Hifiman HE1000se
Ether Flow 2

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 16
The problem with choosing headphones is that it's almost impossible to buy them based on people's opinions of them because to one they might seem dark and to another they might sound neutral.

I want the most neutral headphones possible such as my DT1990's but on steroids if that makes any sense and so far I've been offered to trade them with either Empys or the Abyss Phi 1266 so out of the two which one is more suitable for my needs? I will be using my Questyle CMA400i as my DAC/AMP in case that makes a difference.
have fo
The dac and amp make a huge difference, especially with a power hungry headphone like the Abyss or Audeze LCD4's. I have found the Chord Qutest and Violectric v280 to be a great combo.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 16

I paired mine with a DHC copper/silver combo cable and the balance is phenomenal top to bottom. Maybe it was a cable pairing issue. I love these so far tons!

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 16
I tried the T1's and use to have the HD800 and they both sounded thin. The DT1990 is just so well rounded that it's safe to call it the jack of all sounds if you like.

Which version of the T1? I have a T1.2 and owned a DT 1990 at the same time and it basically sounds like a more laidback version of the DT 1990 with softer treble and warmer mids with more nuance.

Edit: Just realized this is an older post. My bad. Did you end up finding what you wanted?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #14 of 16
Love the DT1990, it’s my favourite headphone. Would it be worth maybe getting the T1.2 in the future, even though I don’t plan on ever selling my DT1990? I am curious about it.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 16
Love the DT1990, it’s my favourite headphone. Would it be worth maybe getting the T1.2 in the future, even though I don’t plan on ever selling my DT1990? I am curious about it.

While you can hear a strong family resemblance between the sound, the DT 1990 has an energy and dynamism the T1.2 doesn’t quite have as the T1.2 is smoother and more relaxed in its sound. I find the T1.2 is more of a somewhat relaxing headphone like the Amiron Home so the headphones can work together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back