Upgrade recommendation from Koss Portapro for EDM please
Oct 8, 2015 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TRANCEJUNKIE

New Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade to a new pair of headphones up to £200 to use with my Fiio X1 DAP and Fiio e11K Amplifier.  I have always used Koss Portapro in the past and only listen to Trance and Electronic dance music, which mainly comprises the Uplifting/Vocal and Orchestral variety.

I absolutely love the Portapro, in particular the warm rich bass, mids and attacking drive they present throughout the music.  In all they are an extremely 'fun' and engaging headphone, which greatly pair with the type of music I like.  Obviously, they do have their limitations though, so I am keen to investigate other headphones which will further improve my listening experience, whilst providing a similar rich bass and warm signature, but with better separation.

I did buy a pair of Beyer DT770PRO headphones, which are good, but they do not put a smile on my face like the Portapro do, and don't engage me as much.  I don't care if the headphones are open or closed, on ear or over ear, or what they look like.  My main priority is the sound quality in relation to the type of music I listen to, whilst keeping the 'fun' signature of the Portapro.  I would be particularly keen to hear from previous owners of Portapro's who have upgraded with benefits.

Many thanks

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 2
For my electronic music collection, as well as my hip hop, I definitely enjoyed my TMA-1s, although admittedly they are quite a dark sounding headphone overall compared to something like the portapro (from my memory) but they seem a little bit more impactful and happy to be a little bit insane (they are DJ headphones)

Clamping force might be the only issue with the original TMA-1 set, because they're on ear as well they can get quite uncomfortable until you get used to it. You can't get them new directly from AIAIAI, so it'll either be amazon or finding a good set used. AIAIAI do make the TMA-2, which can be semi-customised, but I have no idea how those sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back