upgrade question: more grado or senn?
Feb 17, 2006 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tyleroni

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to be buying another set of headphones soon. I already own (and love) sr-80s. I am looking to spend less than $200. Is the 225 a substantial improvement or should I try something else such as the senn 580? beyer dynamic 770? Thoughts and advice please. thanks

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 7
I bought the SR 225's new for $179 USD for a total of $230 CAD w/ shipping.

Only $20 more than my SR 80's which are a real rip off most places in Canada and a definite rip off where I bought them (on sale).

Anyways, if the 80's are a $100 Headphone then I would say that the 225's are totally worth another $100. To my ears anyways. I was really happy with them. Along with the SR-60 and the HF-1 the 225's are considered to be a real sweet spot price/performance wise in the Grado line.

My Impressions: First thing I noticed was there was more bass. Next thing was that the music seemed to have more room to develop. Strings and Piano were a big jump up from the 80's. Also they had better soundstaging. They sound great with old Blue Notes jazz albums. Overall they have a richer fuller sound and can put you in the room with the musicians (though not the concert hall). I find them to be great with electronic music as well. In fact I think I prefer listening to some CD's like Thievery Corporation - "The Mirror Conspiracy" with the 225's rather than the HF-1's.

SO

If you wand a bigger better grado I would say it is totally worth it. However if you feel like you want to try a different sound signature search around for a used pair of Senns.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the reply! I have read great things about the 225 in this forum. My only concern is that it was from people who hadn't already enjoyed the grado sound. I just want to make sure the great recommendations for the 225 were also from people who had started out lower in the grado line (sr-60,sr-80) and not just people who started out with crappy heaphones. $200 is quite a price for mediocre improvement
eek.gif
Thats why I also wanted to know if the 580 and others would be a better compliment to my sr- 80s. Thanks in advance. -tyleroni

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 7
It depends very much on what you listen to and your own preference on how you like the music served. If you haven't heard a Senn, I strongly suggest going that route. I started my Grado journey with the SR-80 as well and later on acquired the HD-580 (which I fell in love with and made me a Sennheiser man). Both Grado and Senn make such a great complimentary pair you really shouldn't do without just either one of them.

Cheers!

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 7
I started my Grado journey with the SR-80 as well and later on acquired the HD580 + 595 (in my case), and later a Beyer DT990 pros (which I fell in love with and made me a Beyer man).
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh, I also got the SR225 but are selling them right now.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Consider trying the MS2i's, they are much more of an improvement. Or try the Beyer dt990's.

When I first bought the 225's I liked them, but they wore out their welcome rather quickly.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back