Upgrade Over X-Fi XM?
Aug 16, 2006 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Skrying

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, I know its not the best source for listening to music, but I was pretty hardcore gaming at the time when I purchased it and it was a decent upgrade over my Audigy 2 at the time.

Time as gone by though and I've nearly lost 90% of my gaming interest and would really love to increase my audio quality.

I'm looking for any suggests for a good upgrade over the X-Fi, I'll be combing the money from saling the X-Fi plus I'll probably throw another $50 or so along with that.

Looking forward to any suggestions. Thanks!

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 3
Hmmmm, difficult - as I doubt you'll get anything much better sounding for ~ US$ 100. And in my experience gaming interest comes and goes with good games over the years. So I'd rather recommend to keep your X-Fi and maybe mod its output stage (or have it modded). Alternatively, you could also ponder selling your headphone amp and investing in something like a Total Bithead or PortaCorda III USB instead - could be a very clever move, if you already also have or intend to get a notebook computer. Or you save up a bit more for a standalone dac to go with your X-Fi...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 3
Juli@ or EMU 0404 are the most obvious replacements. Alternatively, perhaps keep the X-fi and get an external DAC (e.g. Zhaolu).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back