Upgrade over revo 7.1?
Aug 1, 2007 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kryogen

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I have a revo 7.1 and I always though the gaming performance was poor compared to my old SB Live.

Music was waayyyy better though.

I have grado SR125 phones and a NAD C320BEE amp.

Which soundcard should I get? I want something better than the revo for music. I want a difference
wink.gif
Yet, I want to be able to play games.... not what I do the most, but still.

What about the Xfi range?

Thanks

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use two soundcards: X-fi for gaming and Revolution for music. Problem solved.

can you use two soundcards at once? In a serendipitous moment, I now have an X-Fi and an AV-710, can I keep the X-Fi used for games and the AV-710 be used for music?

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 15
don't waste money on a new/second soundcard -- go for an external dac and use the coax out on the revo (or usb). be warned though, the dac's on your revo aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be, and getting something that will be noticeably better out of the gate will cost more money than you're probably willing to spend.

as for gaming AND music, throw in some old, cheap audigy, and do as others mentioned for making games use one over the other.

Aug 3, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryogen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of dac?

Whatever you can afford.

Quote:

How much better than the revo?

Depends entirely on what you end up getting. Start researching
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd look in the >$200 range, preferably used.

Quote:

Should I get an X-fi instead and then use a dac for music ?

Get a cheap audigy if you're going to go the multi-card route, and put most of your money into the DAC. If gaming isn't a huge overbearing priority, just stick with the revo7.1 for gaming. It does alright.

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 15
Go with the extreme music.

You don't need two soundards, just get one with a good digital out, so you can upgrade to a DAC later.

There are a lot of good DACs out there, do some research and try to listen to some, nobdody can tell you what you will like best.

You also would want to upgrade your AMP, the grados are 32 ohm impedance, your NAD has a 270 ohm impedance headphone out, its not a good match (high impendance heapdhones, like sennheiser 580/600/650 (300 ohm) are typically the only headphones that sound good out of NAD amps), you could look into a amp/dac combo type situation with a DAC-1 USB etc, a lot of choices out there really.

Come up with a budget, first, and then spend time doing research and try to buy either used, so you can re-sell the equipment you don't like, or buy from places with good return policies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back