Upgrade over HD555 – something else/need change
Jul 26, 2016 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kowalucha

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

I'm thinking about buying M2 as an upgrade for HD555. I have my HD's for quite some time, in fact about 5 years. They are great sounding headphones, still working. Although I need some revolution instead of evolution. Normal evolution for these will be HD600 or HD650 – but I'm looking for some sort of change. I feel HD555 are good for "natural" music with real instruments, but I listen electronic music a lot. I thought M2 due to their closed construction can be better. HD600 are roughly same priced, so I'm considering them too – will they sound much different than HD555? I've also heard about Fidelio X2, which are open cans too – does it mean that the play ​roughly same as HD555?

I'm amping my pair with FiiO e07k, which is enough when it comes to loudness. 

The questions is – should I get M2 or HD600 when I want complete change? Will FiiO e07k amp M2/HD600?

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 16
The Fiio amp will be OK with the M2, HD600 probably not.

Is there any reason you're looking at a closed-back headphone? I find a closed-back works well with electronic genres so that's no bad thing, but we have visitors here who may not be aware of the design differences between the two types.

Here's a couple more suggestions for electronic, the HP150 is the more neutral-sounding of the two. These will suit the Fiio -

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/soundmagic-hp100-foldable-closed-back-dj-monitoring-headphones-with-replaceable-coiled-cable.html

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/soundmagic-hp150-closed-back-headphones-with-replaceable-cable.html

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 16
Will those Soundmagic have any compare with quality of HD555 or M2? I thought you cannot buy good cups from less known companies. In fact I had one Soundmagic (earbuds) and they broke really easy and didn't seal well.
Are M2 bad choice for me? I seem to really like them – didn't have chance to listen, but form factor seems to be outstanding quality. 

There is no reason too look for closed headphones, I just thought they will sound better in electronic music (had little listening session with CAL) – if there are open headphones that sound good with my type of music – no problem. 

Can someone briefly describe difference between HD555/HD600 and maybe M2?

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 16
I know HD600 are great headphones – the thing is that I'm not sure they will fit my genre (electronic music). I love HD555 but low end is lacking.

I'm open for any proposition – I just personally thought closed headphones would be better. If any other open headphones can perform well – not a problem, in fact I like mine HD555, which are open. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 16
  I know HD600 are great headphones – the thing is that I'm not sure they will fit my genre (electronic music). I love HD555 but low end is lacking.

I'm open for any proposition – I just personally thought closed headphones would be better. If any other open headphones can perform well – not a problem, in fact I like mine HD555, which are open. 

Fostex is great for electronic.  I get the feeling that the HE400i could be too (but the bass isn't as powerful).

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for letting me know guys. I'd still like to hear some words about M2 as they seem to be nice. Fidelio X2 is still an option, but I need confirmation that they are good synergy with dubstep/trap music. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 16
  Thanks for letting me know guys. I'd still like to hear some words about M2 as they seem to be nice. Fidelio X2 is still an option, but I need confirmation that they are good synergy with dubstep/trap music. 

Fidelio X2 and DT990 Pro are open back headphones with punchy mid-bass and open soundstage.
DT990 is brighter and airier, while Fidelio X2 is a bit softer and more cohesive.

The Fidelio is a tad easier to drive.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 16
To sum everyyhing up:

If I don't need closed or portable headphones, in my case and genre, Fidelio X2 will be the best and, in addition to that, they would be upgrade for my HD555, on current DAC.

Is that right?

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 16
  To sum everyyhing up:

If I don't need closed or portable headphones, in my case and genre, Fidelio X2 will be the best and, in addition to that, they would be upgrade for my HD555, on current DAC.

Is that right?

hell no, fideio x2 is greatly overrated, mostly due to z reviews. if you want to upgrade from hd555, you can get the o2odac or you can get the hd650, or you can get both - but tbh o2odac+hd650 is the endgame everybody should be using or aiming to get, and if you want to take it up a step, then hd650 + ldmk3 with nos mullard tubes is the ultimate end game in the human experience. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Objective2+ODAC you mean? It's quite expensive, as much as I'd like to spend on headphones tbh. Are HD650 any better in genre I listen to? I like my HD555 a lot, but they don't sound well with dubstep, which is part of my playlists. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 16
The picture is just the Objective Amp not the AMP/DAC combination.   The standalone amp is a good bit less expensive than the DAC/AMP combination unit new and explains the reason you found a secondhand model at a really inexpensive price.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 16
  hell no, fideio x2 is greatly overrated, mostly due to z reviews. if you want to upgrade from hd555, you can get the o2odac or you can get the hd650, or you can get both - but tbh o2odac+hd650 is the endgame everybody should be using or aiming to get, and if you want to take it up a step, then hd650 + ldmk3 with nos mullard tubes is the ultimate end game in the human experience. 

I think you are going to far with HD650.
It's a very good headphone indeed, but to say that it's "the endgame everybody should be using or aiming to get.." is far too much.
You need to understand that different people has different preferences and listen to different recordings at different levels.
A relatively affordable AKG K702 for instance blasts the HD650 in terms of soundstage, imaging and bass clarity.
You like your HD650 and that's fine, I like mine as well, but there are many quality headphones out there and some of them surpass the HD650 in some regards.

The Fidelio is not overrated, it's one of the most luxurious headphones for the money, sound quality is nice / fun, big stage, big bass, easy to drive.
Less refined that HD650, yes. But it's not overrated, it simply offer things you are not willing to pay. Nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back