Upgrade my source (DAC) or not?
Nov 27, 2008 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
I had quite a few sources, but none of them was more expensive then 500 USD and I could not hear much of a difference if any. Of course I had different setups at that time (Corda Aria, WooAudio 3, RSA SR71, RSA XP7, Brocksieper Earmax etc.) and cannot really say if the limiting factor were the source, the amp, the headphones or my ears.

I really enjoy the Echo Indigo DJ -> Stax combo at the moment and do not feel or think that I am missing something. On the other hand would of course like to make sure I am getting as much as I can out of my setup.
Not sure what I would have to spend to clearly notice a difference or if I really want to go ahead and upgrade NOW or wait for the meet in January/February and try to audition difference sources. Local dealers are not that much of an option, as the ones that are around got high end DACs, but mostly so high endish that I would have to sell my car to buy one (and thats not really an option
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Another thing is that I am not going to get a CDP or SACDP as I am listening through FLAC files mostly, thus a DAC or USB DAC is what I am looking for.
What I noticed is that quite a few USB DAC's "only" support 16bit using USB and 24bit/192khz using the COAX in. If that is the case (and I believe it is because of the native support in the OS) then I can live without USB.

There are quite a few DIY DAC's out there, but if I go DIY then I would prefer used (because assembled) or one of these assembled kits, as I am quite happy using things that work and don't need fixing.
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you think would be the right step to take or right DAC for my Stax SRM-313/SR-303 + Computer/Marantz-CD72 setup? As I will most likely have no option to give the unit a try, I will end up buying it and trying it and if I do not like it sell it again. (which is no big deal, that's what 99% of us are doing anyway
biggrin.gif
)

Thanks,
André

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 6
What's your price range?

A tube dac might be a good option to compliment the bright nature of the Stax. You should consider the MHDT Labs Paradisea+.

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 6
I would say up to 600 USD for now
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the bright nature of the Stax, actually I am not even sure if I would call them bright, but detailed and fast.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 6
There is an Apogee Mini-DAC on the forum here for $550 USD + shipping. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...ni-dac-365137/

I think that'd give you the best bang for your buck. The next step up is a Lavry DA10 or the Benchmark DAC1, but I think the benchmark would just add too much brightness to your setup. And I'm not sure you'd even hear a huge difference between those and the Apogee Mini-DAC.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 6
I am still not sure about the MHDT Labs Paradisea+ as I really like the brighter nature of the Stax, but since there is one for sale...
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there any Stax owner that could comment on the Paradisea?

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still not sure about the MHDT Labs Paradisea+ as I really like the brighter nature of the Stax, but since there is one for sale...
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there any Stax owner that could comment on the Paradisea?

save up and get a mytek, lavry, or grace 902

Users who are viewing this thread

Back