Upgrade my portable rig
Dec 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

James1822

New Head-Fier
Advertisement

Want to Advertise?

Hey,

I currently have an s:flo2 and a Sansa Clip. They are good in different ways. The s:flo2 sounds great and the Sansa Clip sounds pretty good and is v user friendly.

I'm getting fed up with the s:flo2 user interface as you spend ages looking for a particular album/artist because it doesn't store things in alphabetical order (or any sensible order).

I'm thinking of getting a portable amp (the Fio E11 seems to get good reviews) for the Sansa Clip so I can ideally have the best of both worlds. Will that sound as good as the s:flo2? Or better?

The other thing is I'd lose some of the portability of the Sansa Clip on its own, which is a major advantage.  I'm using some monster turbine pro IEMs.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Don't get a Fiio, they're known to explode.....................

kidding aside, I have a Sansa Clip zip and a Fiio E6, the E11 is what I'm looking at for a possible upgrade, thought i can't answer for weather it will sound as good as the S:flo2 

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5
The s:flo2 interface is unfortunate. Its in the way you get 'stuck' in an album's tracks and then have to start all over again for your next selection. I don't know whether a sansa + fiio e11 sounds better than the s:flo2. However a big plus with the s:flo2 is the line out uses the TI OPA2604 op amp which further improves its already good sound. I have a Fiio E9 desktop amp. and the s:flo2 shines with that. Other Apple players seem virtually the same through the E9. Whether adding an amp to a Sansa Clip makes much difference I don't know. I sometimes wonder whether you would gain that much with a portable setup (and amp) on noisy buses/trains etc.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Yes, my ideal player would be as follows:

Around 20GB internal memory
32GB Micro SD card
Around the Sansa Fuze sort of physical size and shape.
Colour screen with the ability to show album art (no need for videos)
Decent built in amp/s (i.e. a bit more than the typical mp3 player, although appreciate s:flo2 is a lot more)
A fairly flat, unaltered sound, i.e. no booming bass or surprising sounds, just good accurate sound.
Sansa Fuze/Clip interface (i.e. simple & ubobtrusive)

Any recommendations?

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Why not get a 64gb microSD card for that Clip?
Quote:
Yes, my ideal player would be as follows:

Around 20GB internal memory
32GB Micro SD card
Around the Sansa Fuze sort of physical size and shape.
Colour screen with the ability to show album art (no need for videos)
Decent built in amp/s (i.e. a bit more than the typical mp3 player, although appreciate s:flo2 is a lot more)
A fairly flat, unaltered sound, i.e. no booming bass or surprising sounds, just good accurate sound.
Sansa Fuze/Clip interface (i.e. simple & ubobtrusive)

Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back