Upgrade my notebook listening experience
May 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kjozsa

New Head-Fier
I have been using my trusty HP 8510 notebook at work all the time. It's built in soundcard is a Realtek HD Audio and it goes nicely along with my senn CX300 (they both suck a lot when it comes to quality music :)). After upgrading my home audio setup, I thought it was time to start investing into my portable audio experience.. but I'd like to ask for some advices.

I never had any portable headphone amps so I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I'm not sure either which of the components is the weakest point in my current setup - should I go for a DAC/amp first or switch my headphone to a more serious one? If the DAC is the first thing to do, it's worth to mention that being Linux-compatible is a must-have for me (and usually the manufacturer fails to mention this fact about their product).

Oh before I forget, I listen to rock, hard rock and jazz mostly.. and that's my first day here at head-fi, bear with me :wink:

May 8, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 8
This is the forum you want.

Make sure to mention your budget.  Better yet, go through this thread.  It is a good start.

Shoot for the best portable amp/DAC you can afford with your budget.

May 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd say that the Fiio E7 is practically the only good DAC in the ~$100 range, so it'd be a good entry-level one.  Still though, you're gonna wanna upgrade your headphones if you want much of a real benefit to upgrading the source.

May 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 8
In the big picture, all portable amp/DACs are entry-level units for the most part.
It is best to go with the best unit you can afford, though the E7 is one of your few options apart from the Nuforce Icon Mobile and uDAC2-HP at around $100 if that is your budget.

May 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 8
thanks for the answers guys. So I get you right that getting a DAC is currently a bigger improvement for me than replacing my earbuds, when it comes to listening to music?

about my budget: $100 aint sound too steep for a DAC/amp, but $200-$250 is about the max i'd like to shell out currently for a new pair of IEMs.

May 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 8
The CX300 is pretty low-end as far as IEMs go.  You should definitely get something better than that, you'd probably barely be able to tell the difference between your netbook's output and that of something like an E7 with it.  (depends though, do you notice any scratchiness/loud hissing with it right now?)

But if you want new IEMs it's quite a bit harder to give recommendations.  What are you looking for in a new IEM?

May 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Listening to the CX300 hooked to the notebook's Intel HD audio controller gives a good amount of constant high-frequency hiss, crap lows, total mud and total lack of clarity and imaging. I'm definetely not an audiophil but I'd like to get much closer to the level of my home Polkaudio speakers wired to my onkyo SR508 amp, because after getting used to them, this notebook setup just hurts too much to listen to it.

My original question which I'm still not sure about is that the CX300 or the notebook's soundcard is the weakest link (or I should just go upgrading both :)).

May 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Listening to the CX300 hooked to the notebook's Intel HD audio controller gives a good amount of constant high-frequency hiss, crap lows, total mud and total lack of clarity and imaging. I'm definetely not an audiophil but I'd like to get much closer to the level of my home Polkaudio speakers wired to my onkyo SR508 amp, because after getting used to them, this notebook setup just hurts too much to listen to it.

My original question which I'm still not sure about is that the CX300 or the notebook's soundcard is the weakest link (or I should just go upgrading both :)).

Honestly, crap lows, total mud and lack of clarity sounds a lot like the CX300's signature to begin with. :p  I think right now the CX300 is the weakest link.  Go for a new pair of IEMs for sure, see if you need an amp after that.  The high-frequency hiss is definitely the netbook though.  You'd want to get IEMs with a relatively low sensitivity to get rid of that...or just go for an external DAC.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for though?  Strong bass, balanced overall signature, V-shaped frequency curve?  And are things like isolation, microphonics and comfort a priority?  (this should really move to the portable headphones board though, if you're seriously considering getting new IEMs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back