Upgrade my Chaintech AV-710?
May 18, 2008 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ad Rock

Head-Fier
Well I have a Chaintech AV-710 and I am running it on Vista with the High Sample Rate setting on the R. Surround jack.

The rest of my set-up is a LD MKIII > HD-580 (with HD-650 Cable, HD-600 grilles and defoamed)

I am running Foobar and listening to FLAC files for the most part.

Now for the important part, this is my first real headphone set-up and I am not as 'blown away' as I was expecting to be with this set-up. Is my Chaintech the weak point in my system? I want to get a Keces-151 off ebay but it is a rather large investment and I just wanted to know if anyone will be able to tell me if I will notice a real difference between the Keces and the Chaintech.

Essentially I just want to know if my Chaintech is really holding me back here and would really benefit from a upgrade in my DAC.

I know this is a vague thread but hopefully someone can help.

May 18, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 3
Well the Chaintech AV710 does not have a headphone amp.

So it would stand to reason that a PCI sound card like the Audiotrak HD2 that has a headphone amp would be a much better solution that your AV-710.

That being said an external USB headphone amp would be an even better choice.

I just glanced at Keces.

AudiogoN ForSale: Keces DA-151

It is a DAC...I would think you would probably be better served buying something like the Fubar III...It is a USB/DAC slash headphone amp.

Firestone Audio FUBAR III USB DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Or maybe something like this.

Zhaolu D2.5a DAC & Headphone Amp

I am really not the one to recommend a USB/DAC headphone amp...But it seems that is what you need...The products that are available is just mind boggling.

But I am sure if you ask for a recommedation for a USB Head Phone Amp you will...You might want to do a search...Or just go back a few pages...There are multiple threads asking about T/Amps...USB/DAC's...USB Headphone Amp's.

I personally am looking at USB/DAC headphone amps...I have some AudioEngine 5's and Grado headphone...So I want a USB/DAC that will send analog to my A5's but will also serve as a headphone amp for the Grado's.

May 18, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 3
Sorry I guess you missed it Hookem but I have a Little Devil MK III Tube Amp. It has received a glowing review so far on this site so I think I should be good in that aspect.

Basically I just need to know if the Keces type DAC would be a strong upgrade over my Chaintech.

Thanks for the reply though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back