upgrade me!
Apr 10, 2003 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Guardian

100+ Head-Fier
biggrin.gif
You guys are gonna laugh at me:

I just received my Rega Planet 2000 today. It is beautiful, but I can't even listen to it yet because I haven't got an amp. I plan to get quite a lot of pleasure out of it, but I like to know where I'm headed. Call it incentive for working hard all this summer. I want to know what some players are that would be a considerable step up from this. I'm not looking into SACD yet, because I'm waiting for the format to pick up. Perhaps 2 upgrades from now will grant me SACD capability. But for the time being,

what player do you consider to be the next step from the Rega Planet 2000?

For the time being, I am/will be listening to my source with Cardas Golden Reference interconnects, a (really) maxed-out META42, and Sennheiser HD600 with the Cardas cable. Before I come 'round to upgrading my source, I will definitely be doing work on power needs and the amp. Do you think better headphones are in order first, as well?

And getting an amp custom built has left me wondering about the power sources in manufactured cd players like my Rega. Do I have a good power source here, and if not, do higher-end players have better? If not, do people generally get the power sources of high-end players modified?

Thanks for your help.

-Skye

Apr 10, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 7
A Meta42 sounds alright.
Or you can get yourself a Gilmore V2. That should rock.
ABout the rega2000, you really can do something about the power section.
Just change Caps to 10000uf.
Also you can add some weight on a rega.

Apr 10, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you for replying, but could you please elaborate? I don't know what it means to change caps or add weight. I want every part of my system to be at its best, and the META will have a sophisticated power supply, so if there is something that I can do for the Rega's power, I'd like to really understand how to go about it.

Apr 11, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Since rega2000 is a top loader, you can put some weight on both side. Also put some spike under the player. This would make the sound clearer.
The power section will need more work. You will need to open it up and find the power section. Change the Capacitors to 10000uf ones.
I would suggest you listen to your "stock" system first.
If it's good enough, why bother?
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Why is it that adding weight to the player increases the quality of its sound? Does the weight distribution have to be horizontally balanced?

Would it be pretty easy to find someone who could upgrade the power for me? I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea of opening 'er up.

Thanks again.

Apr 12, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Heavier = less vibration = easier reading data = better sound.
About the Caps, I suggest you wait until your warranty is up. Then think about upgrade the power section.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back