upgrade MDR7506?
May 7, 2006 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scholarlymonk

Head-Fier
I have the Sony MDR7506 and I really love them. I have the d-66 eggos as well but prefer the larger sound of the former.
Mostly I need a closed phone with a foldable design that is easy to fit into a backback.
I'd love to upgrade to something better if its out there. I know that sony has several other models like the MDR-Z900HD. Are these better sounding?
Thanks,
Scott.

May 7, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 10
Anything's a significant improvement over the 7506, perhpaps a K81dj is in order? Nice and packable.

May 7, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 10
I am also coming out of an ipod and am in no hurry to buy any other equitment to pack into my backpack.
The Beyers are not foldable are they?
The AKGs don't look bad. What about the AKG 271, they look like they could bundle up small?

May 7, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scholarlymonk
I am also coming out of an ipod and am in no hurry to buy any other equitment to pack into my backpack.
The Beyers are not foldable are they?

No, I don't think they're foldable. Neither is the AKG K271.

Out of an iPod, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 is a good option, since they're pretty easy to drive and have a big impactful sound. They're quite small - even if they don't really fold up, they're pretty much designed for portability...to a much greater extent than the Beyer or AKG.

May 7, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scholarlymonk
I had those Senns and bought the better cable, but overall I was just not into the sound. I thought them a little dull.

Maybe these? They're foldable and pretty good looking. I don't know anything about the sound, but I suspect a search on the ES7 will turn up some results.

May 7, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 10
The K271 is a full-sized headphone. Nothing about it is portable, trust me.
tongue.gif
And you definitely don't want to be seen in public wearing one either!

You're better off with the Sennheiser HD25, AKG K81DJ, or Audio Technica portables like the ATH-FC7/FC5/ES7/ES5. I wouldn't say any of them are "better" than the 7506 though, because the 7506 is a really decent headphone for the price, with its relatively flat response and transparency. The HD25 is considerably more expensive, the K81DJ definitely NOT flat in its response (has AKG's house sound), and the ATH portables, while decent, definitely don't "beat" the 7506, they're more like side-grades. The closed headphones that beat the 7506 are all full-sized as far as I know.

May 7, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The K271 is a full-sized headphone. Nothing about it is portable, trust me.
tongue.gif
And you definitely don't want to be seen in public wearing one either!

You're better off with the Sennheiser HD25, AKG K81DJ, or Audio Technica portables like the ATH-FC7/FC5/ES7/ES5. I wouldn't say any of them are "better" than the 7506 though, because the 7506 is a really decent headphone for the price, with its relatively flat response and transparency. The HD25 is considerably more expensive, the K81DJ definitely NOT flat in its response (has AKG's house sound), and the ATH portables, while decent, definitely don't "beat" the 7506, they're more like side-grades. The closed headphones that beat the 7506 are all full-sized as far as I know.

The AKG K81-DJ's don't really have the AKG house sound but they are DJ phones so they aren't exactly flat response. If you fouynd the HD25-1's "dull" maybe try the HD-25-SP's(more agressive with very impactful bass)
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Of course I must wonder what kind of music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back