Upgrade-itis... surpassing the k240s
Jun 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Czyrix

New Head-Fier
So I've been using my pair of AKG K240S for a few months now, and I REALLY like the sound, but I want MORE, if that makes any sense. They've started to sound 'normal', and compared to others I've noticed they seem to lack bass... The thing is, I'm lost, I have no clue where to go from here, and I don't know of any place I can go to audition new 'phones, I was assuming a higher K-series (601/701/2, K1000 is a bit out of budget) would be the obvious way to go, but I'm afraid they'd also lack the bass I feel they lack.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 5
The K701 sound nothing like the K240S. They have much less bass. The K240S were one of my favorites. Similar sounding headphones, but with MORE, include Grado HF-1 and Senn HD650. There are probably others, but those are the ones I've owned that I consider similar.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czyrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've been using my pair of AKG K240S for a few months now, and I REALLY like the sound, but I want MORE, if that makes any sense. They've started to sound 'normal', and compared to others I've noticed they seem to lack bass... The thing is, I'm lost, I have no clue where to go from here, and I don't know of any place I can go to audition new 'phones, I was assuming a higher K-series (601/701/2, K1000 is a bit out of budget) would be the obvious way to go, but I'm afraid they'd also lack the bass I feel they lack.

Update your info. You don't run them from a Fiio do you? What is a Dr DAC 2?

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update your info. You don't run them from a Fiio do you? What is a Dr DAC 2?

No I don't run them from a Fiio, thats for my portable setup, sorry about the confusion. The Dr.Dac2 is a DAC/amp/preamp from audiotrak, which can be found here : Google Translate
and here: iXBT: Audiotrak Audiotrak Dr.Dac2 There's also a few things about it here on head-fi, which is where I picked it up. I've had an eye on the HD580/600 for a little while also, but only off of pure speculation and reviews, as I've never gotten to listen to any of the Senn line above the HD555

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czyrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I don't run them from a Fiio, thats for my portable setup, sorry about the confusion. The Dr.Dac2 is a DAC/amp/preamp from audiotrak, which can be found here : Google Translate
and here: iXBT: Audiotrak Audiotrak Dr.Dac2 There's also a few things about it here on head-fi, which is where I picked it up. I've had an eye on the HD580/600 for a little while also, but only off of pure speculation and reviews, as I've never gotten to listen to any of the Senn line above the HD555

I still don't know what it is, but I'll just assume it performs at about a $200 price level. Now $200 isn't much for a source and amp, and that's almost always the real place where a newbie needs to upgrade (not the phones themselves).

I see that a K1000 is a "bit out of budget," so I'll take that literally. Can I assume you just need a USB source? If so, the default recommendations would probably be Gamma 1 or Pico DAC. Amp choices are abundant, and the best deals are probably entry-level DIY versions of AMB, Cavalli, Millett, or Gilmore designs.

The cheaper Audio-gd is probably pretty good, too.

That's just my opinion; others may not agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back