Upgrade iPod storage or go for another device?
Apr 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Geruvah

100+ Head-Fier
I'm no apple fanboy and I'm no apple hater. So I'm avoiding mac forums and anythingbutipod after seeing how extremist they are on their own sides.

I have a 5th generation iPod video (60GB). I've been on the fence to either wait and go for the 32GB Sony and Cowon flagship models that will (hopefully) be coming at May. But do I want to do that?

I do listen to a lot of songs during a commute or walking around. I get in too many moods to listen to playlists that are catered to them all. From personal soundtracks, what to listen to when I'm driving, jogging, the list goes on. All of it is already nearing 100GB.

Upgrading iPod to 240GB allows me to put in all of my music and even have room for things like pictures and files for when I have to bring stuff to and from work (designer and advertising. Files can easily take up a gig each).

"Upgrading" to the Sony or Cowon's 32GB flagship models supposedly gives me a very noticeable sound quality difference, especially with the UE-11's coming in. Admittedly, I do also find them pretty sexy.

No, I'm not doing that redwine imod, no I don't care how "durable" the storage is. I've went through hell and back with my HDD players and they're still surviving. Although Cowon's display stress test did pique my interest quite a lot.

So what would you do?

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 27
Only 7 people out of the 30+ who saw this thread voted? I'm not even asking for replies, just the votes.

Interesting though, it's fairly close (for 7 people). If anything it proves this board isn't biased.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 27
I'm not sure what high capacity DAP's are available. A 5.5 gen ipod, Rockboxed with 120GB or 240GB is probably best option. Can't see the point of lower capacity DAP's when my H140 is 38GB. I want more storage, not less.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 27
Instead of spending money on the new players, you could always get your ipod modded to sound better. You could get a new harddrive at the same time so that it sounds even better and has even more storage. Win win....except for your wallet. :p

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkl.hui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of spending money on the new players, you could always get your ipod modded to sound better. You could get a new harddrive at the same time so that it sounds even better and has even more storage. Win win....except for your wallet. :p

i'd completly agree with that, one of the many things that i am saving for ... it's just not nice on the wallet ... he be cowering in the corner again
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rRav3n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd completly agree with that, one of the many things that i am saving for ... it's just not nice on the wallet ... he be cowering in the corner again
wink.gif

If I do that iMod, that's maybe $800 (not including the bill for the UE-11's and the inevitable amp that would have to come after that). Maybe in the future. It's just too expensive for what it does (for me)...

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 27
Yeah it costs a little under $1.25 per gig for the iPod. I'll also have them replace the battery since that's usually the thing that goes out for a DAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are very expensive in comparison to normal storage prices re a 1tb ext hdd costs 70 quid.

I must find this.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 27
woah, hold ya horses there mate.

Are you paying someone to replace your hdd and battery for your ipod?

theres a guy on ebay charging 40quid to replace a headphone jack switch...its a scandal. I'm not averse to paying people a suitable rate for a job or service they offer but thats ridiculous.

Its just part fitting is all.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 27
I voted for storage. As per the OP the main fact that seems to drive a possible choice for lower storage is the expected much better sound quality for other DAPs (Cowon or Sony). I don't the iPod as having such a lower performance really. I've played around with a few daps and the SQ differences that I found are more down to presentation than for sheer "quantity" of performance. Sure no one can vouch for yet to be released toys but the amp and especially the phones DO make the most difference. That's why I think the DAP is the least important factor around this issue. And yeah, 240 gig 1.8inch drives are terribly expensive... I personally simply can't justify the cost... I'd rather buy a second DAP just for the flavouring or simply get a 120 gig drive if it would be reasonable for the amount of music I need to carry. Hope this made sense :-\

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted for storage. As per the OP the main fact that seems to drive a possible choice for lower storage is the expected much better sound quality for other DAPs (Cowon or Sony). I don't the iPod as having such a lower performance really. I've played around with a few daps and the SQ differences that I found are more down to presentation than for sheer "quantity" of performance. Sure no one can vouch for yet to be released toys but the amp and especially the phones DO make the most difference. That's why I think the DAP is the least important factor around this issue. And yeah, 240 gig 1.8inch drives are terribly expensive... I personally simply can't justify the cost... I'd rather buy a second DAP just for the flavouring or simply get a 120 gig drive if it would be reasonable for the amount of music I need to carry. Hope this made sense :-\

It did and then I read that last sentence. So you'd rather get anther DAP?

The storage expansion would certainly be cheaper than the other DAPs coming but they're still within the price range I'd get.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 27
For the cost of a 240 gig drive... yeah! But it's just me.
I've got a 120 gig Classic and it's more than enough for me to carry around and sounds just great with an amp.
You may have other needs. Maybe you're sick of your 5gen already and would like a change... I know how it feels, guess most of us addicts here do
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back