Upgrade ideas for upcoming NY travel
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chicostein

New Head-Fier
Hello Everybody,
this is the first time I post here on Head-Fi, I've just recently found out this site.
I live in Brazil, where most products mentioned here are very hard to find and even then they can cost 3x or 4x the U.S. equivalent. I will be travelling to New York in September with some (not much) free time to shop, so this would be a great opportunity to pursuit any upgrade ideas while "saving" a LOT of money. Therefore I must have a good plan of where to go and what to look for.
My favorite setup to listen at home (mostly pop/rock) is comprised of Sennheiser HD595, Rotel RC-03 preamp and iPod Nano (1st Generation) via its dock line out.
The most basic question is about digital sources. What is the best PMP to acquire? A iPod Classic would be extremely convenient to use with the MacBook and hold all the library, but I can consider other ipod models or player brands. Or should I stick with the nano? Or use as source my iPhone 3G? Or my Cowon D2? Or go after an iMod??
Could I use the macbook and an amp/dac as source?
Amp: is it a good idea to buy some portable amp such as the Total Bithead (or any other ) or am I better off sticking with the Rotel?
I am also wondering about an eventual headphone upgrade but I'll leave this question for another time.
BTW, any suggestions of good stores to go in NY/Manhattan/nearby are extremely welcome
thanks in advance,
Chico Stein

Users who are viewing this thread

Back