Upgrade help!
May 5, 2005 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AKChastain

Head-Fier
I am upgrading Grado SR60's and an older AirHead amp. I listen to all types of music, but female vocals are my favorite (Krall, Krauss, Welch, Brooke ...) All my music is now on a 4G 40 GB Ipod in Apple Lossless format. I have pretty much decided on an SR-71 amp, but need advice on the headphones.
for a budget of $500 or less what do you recommend for this type of music and this amplifier? Thanks for the help!!!

May 5, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi AKChastain,

My suggestion will be try Audiotechnica A900 (although people use them un-amped, but there's a subtle difference if it's driven correctly) and Supermacro, IMHO, the combo is great for female vocal. Decent soundstage, slight echoy, treble and bass are tight but not bright/bloated. I currently use both with my 4G iPod via Pocketdock lineout.

Note: The Supermacro I own is v.1 with OPA227 plus 4 switches, others experience might vary.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

May 5, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 6
I'll second the A900. When I throw them on and put on some Norah Jones, its simply amazing.

But you maybe able to finnd something a little better, but probably not that much more if you are going to add a decent amp and stay under $500.

Also, Ive never used the A900's with anything more than my MINT, but everything I have read, as was said above, points to the fact that imporvements are small, which is what I have found, and generally I dont bother to use the amp.

May 5, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the advice! However I didn't quite give enough information. Most of my listening is done at the office and I would really like to stay away from a closed can. What would you recommend in the open world?

May 5, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 6
If you're into voices then the K 501 is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back