Upgrade help, DAC or AMP?
May 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
I think what it is down to is either a DAC or a new CD player, and I don't think a DAC will be a big improvement for around $200. I think a CD player is the way to go, but your point is interesting about Blu-ray or HD DVD. Would both of these players play CD's as well as DVD/Blu-ray? Is it common for them to have very good sound quality? (Any suggestions on a brand?)
I think a used CD player from a reputable company is my best bet right now, eBay is full of used CD players for cheap.
When you say plugged in you mean that everything is on but the song is paused, correct? There isn't any noise when the track is paused, no matter what the volume is.

You can get a really great DAC for $150, the HRT Musicstreamer (USB DAC) but it uses a USB input, and your CD player does not have a USB out (I think).
The DAC Destroyer (USB DAC) is good and only $50 (I have one) but also uses a USB input.
Most DACs use RCA (analog) for output.
Blu-ray players can read Blu-ray, DVD & CD disks.
Blu-ray disks are around 30 times denser packed, data wise, then CDs, so reading a CD should be very easy for them.
You can run an HMDI cable from the Blu-ray player to the Denon.
There are some very decent DACs on eBay for around $60, that can input optical/coaxial/USB and output RCA.

I'm guessing a used high end CD player would not be better really then a new Blu-ray player.

In previous posts I do not think I was talking about pausing.

May 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 21
About pausing, the other guy asked me to run some tests on my current rig, that comment has to do with his post.

What about going Blu-ray player via optical to an Audioengine D1 to my Denon with RCA? Seems like a good setup. My only concern is the other guy said that I wouldn't notice a difference in upgrading any of my components. Would this be a noticeable increase in the quality of sound, or would it be so small that I wouldn't even know?

May 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
About pausing, the other guy asked me to run some tests on my current rig, that comment has to do with his post.
What about going Blu-ray player via optical to an Audioengine D1 to my Denon with RCA? Seems like a good setup. My only concern is the other guy said that I wouldn't notice a difference in upgrading any of my components. Would this be a noticeable increase in the quality of sound, or would it be so small that I wouldn't even know?

I'm thinking you can get a no name DAC, off eBay, from China, for $65.
Paying $160 for the Audioengine D1, but only using it for a DAC, seems like a wast of cash.

May 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 21
Could you recommend a specific DAC? I have seen a bunch of them but have no idea which ones are good. Will they perform similar to the Audioengine D1 for digital to analog converting?

Thanks

May 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:
Could you recommend a specific DAC? I have seen a bunch of them but have no idea which ones are good. Will they perform similar to the Audioengine D1 for digital to analog converting?

Thanks

On eBay

SMSL SD793 DAC
SMSL SD-1955 DAC

Check sellers feedback, mass sellers always come with a few negative feedbacks.
Check and see if there is any negative feedback on whatever you are buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back