upgrade headroom home or buy dynahi?
Apr 14, 2005 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

morphie

1000+ Head-Fier
So, my current setup is like this:
PC-->nvidia nforce2-->optical out to benchmark dac1--->headphile blackmax ICs to headroom home--->RS-1s

soon to be:
PC-->m-audio transit + NAD C542-->optical to DAC1-->Headroom Home-->RS-1s

For 300 USD I can send my home back to headroom n have a reference module upgraded (equivalent of the maxed out home with reference module on headroom's website which costs 1200USD or so) or I can try to sell my headroom home and buy a new vega audio dynahi. Any thoughts?

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 65
Veda Audio...
tongue.gif

Why are you looking at upgrading the Home? I heard one at the Chicago meet [although it may have had the reference upgrade] and it sounded quite nice. The Dynahi will probably give you more speed and maybe a slightly more clean and neutral sound [slightly on the warm side of neutral].

However, if you already like your Home a lot, you will be loosing that Headroom house sound... I would say that since you already have such a good amp that it would be a bad idea to do the upgrade unheard. Try to listen to your options at a meet or see if there is anyone in your area that can let you have a listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 65
Good to hear... as soon as I get my Veda Audio Dynahi I will post some initial impressions and will probably write a review of it some time after the Wadia meet. [May 20th]
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 65
Morphie: can I ask, do you now perceive a great increase in sound quality from the headroom amp you have over the benchmark DAC1 amp?

The reason I ask is because I find the Benchmark DAC1 amp to be "sufficient". I could be missing out on something here!!!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
For 300 USD I can send my home back to headroom n have a reference module upgraded

With the whole new line of headroom amps. coming soon, very soon. Why not wait and see what Headroom has come up with
biggrin.gif

Quote:

or I can try to sell my headroom home and buy a new vega audio dynahi. Any thoughts?

You may want to sell sooner than later with the new stuff coming from Headroom?

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Morphie: can I ask, do you now perceive a great increase in sound quality from the headroom amp you have over the benchmark DAC1 amp?

The reason I ask is because I find the Benchmark DAC1 amp to be "sufficient". I could be missing out on something here!!!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

It's always sufficient until it gets better
wink.gif
I will do some tests between dac alone / dac+amp and post something about it. I have a XLR to RCA adapter also so I'll be able to do some testing from the dac's XLR output with AKG k501s and the RS-1s. My DAC is currently across the globe but I should get it back by next week.

My initial impression of using an amp with the DAC was not a very good one. At the time I used a modded emu 0404's optical out to DAC-1 to woo audio 3 tube amp, and after a few days I switched to the DAC by itself. I love detail, and it sure gives em. When I got the headroom home, it made a significant change in soundstage and speed. I won't post more as I believe my ears to be different now due to 12 or so hours of listening to the k501. I'll wait until I get the DAC back and give a proper opinion then
smily_headphones1.gif

mark: I doubt my old home will be upgradable to the new line of amps. As for selling it, if noone here wants it due to new products from headroom (and as i paid 450USD for this amp when it originally costs 600+, my price will be low and thus a much better deal than buying new headroom gear) it'll go on eBay where it'll most likely find a new home
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I am not interested in selling the amp for now, unless someone convinces me buying a veDa audio dynahi is a better deal than upgrading my current amp. Besides, I like the headroom sound signature, goes nice with Grados and rock in general
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 65
Thanks Morphie I look forward to your thoughts on the DAC1/amp comparisions.

TonyAAA

Apr 16, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

mark: I doubt my old home will be upgradable to the new line of amps. As for selling it, if noone here wants it due to new products from headroom (and as i paid 450USD for this amp when it originally costs 600+, my price will be low and thus a much better deal than buying new headroom gear) it'll go on eBay where it'll most likely find a new home
smily_headphones1.gif

morphie - when I considered upgrading my old Home a few months back, the folks at HeadRoom told me that if they weren't able to put in a new module, they would offer me a deal on a new amp. I imagine the same will be true once the new models are out... Might be worth your while to see how generous they might be with such an offer. (I decided that I wanted a Maxed Out Home and never sent my Home in to see if it was upgradeable.)

Also, I'd be very interested in what you think of the HeadRoom image processor. The HeadRoom Home was my first phone amp 11 years ago and the crossfeed feature turned me into a confirmed headhphone listener. More than "fixing blobs in the head", I find its greatest value is in retrieving depth and presenting a speaker-like soundstage with high quality acoustic recordings. There are varying opinions of crossfeed here and I think others would also be curious about the impressions of someone new to a crossfeed-equipped product.

Best,
Beau

Apr 16, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #11 of 65
Beauregard: Without wishing to hijack the tread... I second an opinion on crossfeed. I cannot imagine additional processing not having some negative impact on the signal. Surround sound processors running such things as prologic definitely corrupt a stereo signal to my ears.

TonyAAA

Apr 16, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 65
I'm not sure what you mean by crossfeed. On the amp there is a "process/bypass" switch and a "filter/off" switch.

When I use the amp as preamp for the speakers I usually switch to to Bypass with Filter on. Filter off gives me a slightly more recessed sound. Leaving it on Bypass keeps the bass recessed more, its less in your face and bring that much more soundstage.

When used an headphone amp with AKG k501s, I use Filter on and Process. Filter on (compared to off) gives me a more upfront sound, it seems more detailed to me, but more smooth when the filter is off. As for the Process (switch which imo makes the most noticeable difference), it's hard to describe, so i'll help myself with some songs:

Keith Jarret - The Koln Concert Part 1 (piano only): Going from Bypass to Process adds a whole new dimension to the sound. The ground noise (barely hearable at loud volumes) is completely gone, and replaced by a more accurate sound. Each note played has more detail, less "jitter" (dunno if this is the right word) around it, its a clearer, cleaner sound all together.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven: Wow. A click of the switch make a very noticeable difference here. I think it's pretty much the same as for the Keith Jarret piece, but the added dimension isnt something to forget. It gives a big feeling of soundstage with the AKG k501s. On bypass the vocals are close to my ears and the music feels very personal. On process, while the vocals stay close to the ear the other instruments seem to back away some, while their own volume stays balanced with vocals.

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue: Ok, with a softer jazz song, its a bit easier to catch. The Process switch on gives you a deeper bass, more detailed strings and drums.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here: Wow again. I think my impression with the Led Zep song wasn't wrong, as I feel the same thing in this song. On bypass: I'm listening to headphones, the sound is on my ears. On process, the sound is all around my head.

In conclusion, I'd like to first of all say that these are my thoughts and opinions about music I like with my ears on my setup. There are a few things I mainly want to conclude about:

+ The filter switch gives a tiny bit more details when on, and the sound is slightly more up-front. This is rather hard to pick up tho.

+ The Process switch when on, in terms of better quality sound, helps a little. Again something more or less hard to catch, but it's imo more noticeable than the changes made by the Filter switch. In terms of "soundstage" (im not sure im using the right word) it does a great job. The music is literally surrounding my head instead of being simply in front. I really feel like each instrument is moved around n set to where it would be the most enjoyable, or at least more enjoyable than simply in front.

So, in my opinion, are those worth having on the amp? The filter switch, I could do without, the Process switch, I'd shoot anyone coming 50m near it while im listening to music.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope this helps a bit, it's hard for me (being french) to find the right vocabulary and since I am rather new to all this I am not sure you guys will understand what I tried saying ^^ Btw, feel free to correct anything I may have not said the right way, it'll help me not make the same mistakes in future "reviews", if a review that is.

EDIT: Gear used: Line out from nVidia nForce 2 soundcard to Headroom Home to AKG k501. I kept it simple, and chose the k501s which already have great soundstage because the amp adds to it alot. One more thing, this in no way described the changes the AMP itself does. it only compares the differences the switches on the amp does! I compare amp with switches off to amp with switches on, nothing else.

Apr 17, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #13 of 65
Thanks again for your thoughts on crossfeed/process sound quality. I gotta hear it to really understand but as I have said before us Aussies just don't get to try before we buy...

But I'll take your advice and not discount the benefits of crossfeed. Those discounted Headroom Max amps look very tempting at the moment.

TonyAAA

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 65
I think upgrading the existing Home is a good move. I've spent a lot of time with the new Reference module, and it's very nice.

I suppose if you really want to ratchet up the performance of your Home, you might consider a stepped attenuator (I'm pretty sure that they are available for your model, but don't know for sure).

In short - you've got significant funds invested in a solid brand-name product which, for incremental cost, can be updated and improved significantly. I'd hot-rod my Home if it were me...the worst that will happen is that you'll have added even MORE value to your amp, which you could then sell for even more if you decided to go that route later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back