Upgrade Headphones from ATH M50.. Help with your recommendations
Feb 17, 2014 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ppdv

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I currently use the ATH M50 for my listening purposes and am considering to upgrade to something fairly better, as in Next Step.

My music tastes are from rock/classic rock, metal, progressive, Fusion, World music. ( few artists i listen on these genre's : Bon jovi, Scorpions, Metallica, Porcupine tree, Vanessa Mae, Yanni, Karnatriix ).

My source is primarily a computer (desktop/laptop) with the Aune T1 as of now, will use it for a while before upgrading. Mostly FLAC/Wav files with a few occasional MP3.

I would like to know your recommendations on

HD 650 / HD 600 / HD 598 / HD 558 ( i have only listened to the HD 558 and did like the sound.

How does the DT880 600Ohm version fare for my requirements ?

Or is there some other headphones i should consider ? Not looking more than 500$ as a budget.

Also, any online deals in the US would be good to know since i have a friend who is now in the US and will be there for two weeks before he flies back to Amsterdam.

Thanks in advance.,
PD

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 5
I prefer the HD600's out of that particular group (I know my sig says 558, but I've heard the 600) 

The 558's are a great choice, but I don't quite think they will be an upgrade, more like a sidegrade

HD600 > HD650 for me personally, just prefer the more neutral sound that the HD600 has, and I prefer it for the genres you mentioned. 

I don't have any experiance with the Beyer's so I can't help you there, but from what i've read/heard they are pretty neutral and comfy. (HD600's are also quite comfy)

598's are just pointless for me, the foam-modded 558's sound very similar for less money. So don't bother with those.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 5
  I prefer the HD600's out of that particular group (I know my sig says 558, but I've heard the 600) 

The 558's are a great choice, but I don't quite think they will be an upgrade, more like a sidegrade

HD600 > HD650 for me personally, just prefer the more neutral sound that the HD600 has, and I prefer it for the genres you mentioned. 

I don't have any experiance with the Beyer's so I can't help you there, but from what i've read/heard they are pretty neutral and comfy. (HD600's are also quite comfy)

598's are just pointless for me, the foam-modded 558's sound very similar for less money. So don't bother with those.

So, you are suggesting out of the Sennheiser to look for the HD600. The difference between 600 & 650 in specifications is small, like the total response range is 2db more on the 650 and spl. would these make a difference if we were to pump up the volume on specific sections of the songs ?

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 5

So, you are suggesting out of the Sennheiser to look for the HD600. The difference between 600 & 650 in specifications is small, like the total response range is 2db more on the 650 and spl. would these make a difference if we were to pump up the volume on specific sections of the songs ?

I don't really care for the measurements too much, but I imagine it wouldn't be noticeable. I just prefer the HD600 for those genres (and overall)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back