Upgrade from Zune HD
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SikkNazty

Head-Fier
Hello, I've had a refirbished Zune HD 32GB for quite some time now. The SQ is fine, nothing is wrong with it, just a little bored... If i were to upgrade what should I go with? I really dislike the iPods so don't suggest that. I've been looking at the 32GB Cowon D3 or J3. But they're pretty freaking expensive, so i'm wondering if anyone knows where I could get a refurbished one. If not, then what other MP3 players have just as good if not superior SQ to the Zune that are 32GB and around $200?

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 22
I personally think the only true upgrade to a Zune HD is something in the SGS line. either the SGS1/SGS player/galaxy tab/Asus EEE Pad, or the SGS 3, since you're not a fan of iPods which are quite frankly better than the entire Zune line.

Zune/Zune HD are pretty universally solid, minus the need for proprietary software. Everything else has a lot of compromises for only a =<1% improvement over the SGS line.

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
I personally think the only true upgrade to a Zune HD is something in the SGS line. either the SGS1/SGS player/galaxy tab/Asus EEE Pad, or the SGS 3, since you're not a fan of iPods which are quite frankly better than the entire Zune line.

Zune/Zune HD are pretty universally solid, minus the need for proprietary software. Everything else has a lot of compromises for only a =<1% improvement over the SGS line.

Are you talking about the Samsung Galaxy Player? or what's the SGS? O_o hahaha. I was thinking about the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 or 3... It'd be funny since I already own the Samsung Galaxy Nexus... Although that has 28GB of space, it's not enough for me when you have to include all the apps and roms and blah...

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 22
The Sansa Fuze+, Sony E466, A866 are great sounding DAPs with lots of extra features and better battery life.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 22
I've heard good things about the RoCoo P.
I'm fairly certain it puts out more power than the zune as well.
Only problem it's internal memory is only 4gb, but it does have a slot for a micro SD card.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 22
If you are willing to go old school and use a big HDD DAP, I'd say that iRiver H120/140, iRiver H320/340, Cowon X5 or Samsung YH-J70 are good options. Samsung might be the best option as it's not as well known as the iRivers and Cowon and you sometimes can find them cheap. I got my J70 for €43 just a few weeks ago off Ebay. The best thing about old HDD DAP's is that you can replace the HDD with higher capacity HDD's and sometimes with Compact Flash cards, and batteries are easily replaceable.

Of course you will pretty much only be able to use them for music. You can use some of the older DAP's for video, but the screens are so small that it's pointless.

I've got a Cowon S9 and a Clip+ and my Samsung YH-J70 and iRiver H120 easily sounds as good as the newer DAP's do. The samsung YH-J70 has got a 9 band custom EQ as well as SRS WOW (I don't bother with such audio enhancements).

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
what do you guys think of the cowon x7?

The Cowon x7 has an internal hardrive so if you drop it you're *******. Correct me if im wrong but i think it has 164 GB of memory? It sounds pretty good. I definately would recommend that or the J3. But if you want an alernative that will triumph the cowon I recommend Hisound Products

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
 The Cowon x7 has an internal hardrive so if you drop it you're *******. Correct me if im wrong but i think it has 164 GB of memory? It sounds pretty good. I definately would recommend that or the J3. But if you want an alernative that will triumph the cowon I recommend Hisound Products

problem is I would only get 4 gigs more than my zune hd... I'm looking for a considerable jump in storage... Can't really find anything though :/ I don't see why people don't make 64 or 80 gb devices anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back