Upgrade from Xin Supermini-3?
Jan 29, 2006 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drxpert

Head-Fier
I've used my mini-3 for a few months and am satisfied with it. However it's getting troublesome to switch it from my ipod to my cdp and vice versa, so I've decided to get an amp for home use, and while I'm at it, I might as well get one that will be a considerable upgrade from the xin.

I listen to all sorts of music, but mainly pop/rock. Favorite bands include interpol, coldplay, the strokes etc. Any suggestions under USD$500? If the amp is really worth it, I may be able to stretch my budget a little.

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 4
You can try the Ray Samuel XP-7, or some of the more expensive Headroom amps. Gilmore Lite is supposed to be a great amp and it doesn't hurt your wallet too much. Or maybe you can do some research on tube amps, they might give you a bit of different flavor.

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Is there anywhere you can go and listen to amps. We all have diferent ears and you may not like what I do. Having said that, there are a couple of amps which are mentioned time and time again in this forum. Some are:

-Gilmore light
-Musical Fidelity X-Can
-Headroom Micro Amp
-Ray Sammuel XP-7
-Channel Island
-Mapletree Ear Purist + HD (tube amp)
-A newcomer is the EC-01 (tube amp at $350)

Good luck.

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 4
Unfortunately, the only amp available here is the X-Can V3 and maybe the lehmann blackcube linear. I heard that beyer cans go well with tubes, but that's usually in reference to the DT880s. Considering the differences between the 880s and 990s, would tubes have good synergy with the 990s as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back