Upgrade from V-moda m-100. Where to go next!?
Dec 31, 2015 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gr34td3str0y3r

100+ Head-Fier
I currently run m100 and q701 as my main set up through my marantz amp/DAC.
I just picked up the little dot Mark IV SE for the q701 and may pick up some hd650s to try with that OTL.

My main listening preferences is EDM. More specific IDM and ambient type stuff. My m100 is perfect for this type of music and I find the Q701 simply terrible for electronic based music.

But now that I am hopefully upgrading my acoustic music listening experience, can I upgrade my EDM listening experience. I love the V-shaped sound of the M100 and the fun fast bass. But can it get better (Max 500 USD)? Is the m100 really my EDM endgame? If it is that's fine.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 4
If you want to dive into the capabilities of extreme bass, check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

If you want more accurate reproduction, even for EDM, there are many better headphones. A few I like are the STAX SR-207, Yamaha HPH-MT220, and HIFIMAN HE400i. I even recently discovered an ultra-budget headphone that sounds more "exciting" to me: Koss KTXPRO1. Since electronic music tends to use digital instruments, making them sound like real acoustic instruments isn't so important, so there are many ways you can go about it. Remember to experiment with EQ no matter what you do. You might hate a headphone's stock tuning, but then end up loving it with certain EQ settings.

The Focal Spirit Professional also sounds awesome with electronic music. It's technically a studio monitor headphone, but has boosted bass and reduced mids and treble, which can often work well for EDM. But I like the MT220 far more. Has more bass impact and more clarity and energy too.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 4
I have the Fostex TH-X00 and it is quite impressive, while being more reasonably priced than the TH-600 and having less sibilant highs. If you can find a used pair, I think it would be a good pick up. Or you can wait around and see if Massdrop releases a second run of them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back