Upgrade from the Audioquest NightOwl (closed-back)
Sep 12, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #16 of 35
It's true they sound nothing alike and I didn't mean to suggest that I only want headphones that sound like the NightOwl. I actually really like the sound of the 58X, as different as the sound is from the NightOwl. I just overall don't like V-shaped sound or piercing highs (which I don't hear in the 58X). I noticed though that the NightOwl with leather pads sounds much better on balanced than unbalanced. And maybe I'm just getting used to the leather pads (I emailed AQ and they said they have no pads in stock right now).

I like having the 58X as an open-back option, but the fact is that I live in a noisy environment and open-back is very seldom a suitable option for me. I like the isolation provided by closed-back headphones.

Thanks for the Denon suggestions. I had really not considered Denon before.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 35
I would recommend you to look into Kennerton Magni or Kennerton Gjallarhorn. Both of these are really great headphones

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #18 of 35
So the Audioquest NightOwl have been my go-to headphones for a couple years now. Unfortunately, the suede pads I was using disintegrated and replacements are hard to come by. Audioquest also seem like they'll never be updating their headphones. So I want to know what else is out there in the closed-back world, what you would recommend as the next step after really liking the NightOwl.

What I'm looking for:

Closed-back, obviously.

I care a lot about comfort. The NightOwls are very comfortable. By contrast, I find the 58X Jubilee, my main open-back headphones, to be fairly uncomfortable. I don't know what you call the type of "auto-size" headband the NightOwl has, but that's my favorite type of headband. That's not a requirement for me though.

As far as sound, I don't like V-shaped sound signatures or recessed mids...and in general I prefer "warm" to "bright/sparkly". I don't care about balanced.

Any suggestions for what I should consider next? I'm going to say price doesn't matter too much at this point, under $1500 would be nice though.
I'm in the same situation, I have nightowls and I'm looking for some complementary headphones. My goal is to try something new. Also, I don't like bright/sparky sound , same as you. So did you find your new headphones, and if so , are you satisfied with them? Thanks

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 35
It's true they sound nothing alike and I didn't mean to suggest that I only want headphones that sound like the NightOwl. I actually really like the sound of the 58X, as different as the sound is from the NightOwl. I just overall don't like V-shaped sound or piercing highs (which I don't hear in the 58X). I noticed though that the NightOwl with leather pads sounds much better on balanced than unbalanced. And maybe I'm just getting used to the leather pads (I emailed AQ and they said they have no pads in stock right now).

I like having the 58X as an open-back option, but the fact is that I live in a noisy environment and open-back is very seldom a suitable option for me. I like the isolation provided by closed-back headphones.

Thanks for the Denon suggestions. I had really not considered Denon before.
If you are okay with an open back to replace the NightOwl, I'd highly recommend checking out the Ibasso SR2. Similar tonality, but a little more neutral. The upper frequencies are about perfect for me, and I also don't appreciate overly bright highs. Noticeably improved in every other way.
If you need a closed back, take a look at the Denon 7200.

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 35
If you are okay with an open back to replace the NightOwl, I'd highly recommend checking out the Ibasso SR2. Similar tonality, but a little more neutral. The upper frequencies are about perfect for me, and I also don't appreciate overly bright highs. Noticeably improved in every other way.
If you need a closed back, take a look at the Denon 7200.
Thank you for your sugggestion. I've already did a bit of research some time ago about SR2. Thanks for reminding me of them. Now I'm also looking at audeze lcd 2c. If you can share some thoughts about them, it would be highly appreciated.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 35
I'm in the same situation, I have nightowls and I'm looking for some complementary headphones. My goal is to try something new. Also, I don't like bright/sparky sound , same as you. So did you find your new headphones, and if so , are you satisfied with them? Thanks

Unfortunately I haven't purchased anything yet, but I have for sure decided that I will be ordering the Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed for $500. I liked the idea of a closed-back planar. The problem is there are almost no reviews of these headphones anywhere, but one YouTube review made me think I probably would like them.

I will report back to this thread when I do order them (and it will be by the end of the year). I just got my new headphone amp and I really had to go with that first. But I am looking forward to trying a new pair of closed-back headphones. My NightOwls still work, but they are wearing out!

One user on the previous page said Aeons can sound flat, but I don't know if that is a concern for me considering that I prefer iFi amps and they're known for being warm. Also "flat" is not the same as sparkly or V-shaped (which I do want to avoid).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #22 of 35
Thank you for your sugggestion. I've already did a bit of research some time ago about SR2. Thanks for reminding me of them. Now I'm also looking at audeze lcd 2c. If you can share some thoughts about them, it would be highly appreciated.
I don't own the Audeze. I'd recommend reading through the dedicated SR2 thread in the forum. Member Voja and myself have made many comments.

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 35
Unfortunately I haven't purchased anything yet, but I have for sure decided that I will be ordering the Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed for $500. I liked the idea of a closed-back planar. The problem is there are almost no reviews of these headphones anywhere, but one YouTube review made me think I probably would like them.

I will report back to this thread when I do order them (and it will be by the end of the year). I just got my new headphone amp and I really had to go with that first. But I am looking forward to trying a new pair of closed-back headphones. My NightOwls still work, but they are wearing out!

One user on the previous page said Aeons can sound flat, but I don't know if that is a concern for me considering that I prefer iFi amps and they're known for being warm. Also "flat" is not the same as sparkly or V-shaped (which I do want to avoid).
You might also look at Sash Tres. I havent heard them but they seems to be amazing for the price. Anyways i hope you will be satisfied with Aeons and I will be waiting for your report.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #25 of 35
So I finally got the Aeons today. I haven't had time to test them extensively, but my initial impressions are quite good. :thumbsup: In a not insignificant way, they feel like a step up from the NightOwl. More revealing, wider soundstage, a little less warm, but you can tailor the dampening with the included pad inserts (there's foam, black felt, white felt 1, white felt 2, in order of least dampening to most). White felt 1 is included, but prefer the white felt 2. As soon as I put those in, it sounded warmer, but not muddy or veiled.

I have yet to try them balanced or even with a proper amp yet (just using the single-ended cable with my MacBook Pro headphone jack--if they sound this good with the onboard audio, I can't imagine what they're going to sound like with a balanced amp). I think I've finally found a good replacement for the NightOwl.

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #27 of 35
I also really liked the Meze 99 Classics (I got to try those recently since a friend owns them), definitely a warmer sound signature and not-at-all V-shaped. But maybe not an "upgrade" (more of a side-move). But another possibility.

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #29 of 35
If you don't want to spend a ton, the Focal Elegia are really good, and imo unmatched at the $379/$400 price tag they're usually sold at by Adorama. My main chain is more than $15k and I spend most of my time listening to Elegia on Asgard3/Bifrost2.

The ZMFs mentioned are fantastic, incredibly comfortable despite the seemingly heavy listed weight (varying with wood) but the strap system is incredible and the pads are world class which means they'll just become part of you and you'll forget they're there (unless you get into the super dense woods like ironwood or get a stabilized pair). So I would highly recommend those if you want to step up to the $1k+ price range.

If you want to stretch it to $2k, the new Meze Lyric are in another league.

PS, the Shure 1540 might be the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried on but also easily the most lifeless and boring.

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #30 of 35
If you don't want to spend a ton, the Focal Elegia are really good, and imo unmatched at the $379/$400 price tag they're usually sold at by Adorama. My main chain is more than $15k and I spend most of my time listening to Elegia on Asgard3/Bifrost2.

The ZMFs mentioned are fantastic, incredibly comfortable despite the seemingly heavy listed weight (varying with wood) but the strap system is incredible and the pads are world class which means they'll just become part of you and you'll forget they're there (unless you get into the super dense woods like ironwood or get a stabilized pair). So I would highly recommend those if you want to step up to the $1k+ price range.

If you want to stretch it to $2k, the new Meze Lyric are in another league.

PS, the Shure 1540 might be the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried on but also easily the most lifeless and boring.
Thank you very much for your recommendation. I checked the elegia and it is for 349$, what a bargain. I think adorama is US shop so there would be some import taxes, but still it would be for a half of a price of new pair in my country. And its very hard to get some used pair here. This is some serious competitor now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back