Upgrade from the AKG K701
Apr 26, 2014 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dnuos

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I search a new pair of headphones.

I love the AKG K701 so much but i wish myself a tighter, more impact in bass and not so harsh and "zing" treble. The S/T louds harming me like barriers . Rest is perfect (mids, stage)

Overall my budget is 599€ (850$). My favorite is the he-500. Could they have a more bassy, "laid-back" sound with non harsh treble ?

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

Do you already have a good amp?

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Harsh/sibilance is most of the times present on low quality/poorly mastered/over compressed recordings, you shouldn't get any harsh treble when reproducing high quality recordings through your K701. That said, getting a darker sound signature will allow you to listen to the same recordings and sibilance/harsh treble issues will be there but less aparent.

Just a little under 1000 you can get Audeze LCD-2 Bamboo which is darker in comparison with HE-500. Maybe you can find them used in mint condition for less money.

For less money you could also consider the new AKG K712 which are definitely warmer than K701.

Best Luck!

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 6
HD650 is my go to can when I tire of the K701 sound.  There are times I want a warmer, more relaxed presentation with some nicely boosted bass and deeper extension.  Image and soundstage is not as layered as the K701... but its not by that much IMHO.  The 650 warmth and smooth presentation more than makes up for what little it lacks in soundstage layering between the two cans.   Don't let the 300 ohms scare you off.  It has noticeably better/higher sensitivity than the K701.

[EDIT]  Just re-read your post and you're wanting "tighter" bass than the K701.  Thats one area the HD650 won't appeal to you... IMHO.  Its bass has a looser, flowing, resonant syrup kind of sound that for many is a love-hate kind of thing.  The K701 has some of the tightest/cleanest bass... IMHO.  Bass "cleanliness" I think its one of the K701 strengths.

Come to think of it... if you don't mind EQ-ing the treble down to taste the DT880 could be an excellent choice too.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 6
  Hi,

I search a new pair of headphones.

I love the AKG K701 so much but i wish myself a tighter, more impact in bass and not so harsh and "zing" treble. The S/T louds harming me like barriers . Rest is perfect (mids, stage)

Overall my budget is 599€ (850$). My favorite is the he-500. Could they have a more bassy, "laid-back" sound with non harsh treble ?

Try a pair of AH-D 7000 Denons. They were my upgrade from the k701s.Totally happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back