Upgrade from SR80s to 300-350 range or lower?
Mar 31, 2008 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Snicewicz

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sure some people are tired of helping me but I just keep finding so much conflicting information.

I am trying to find headphones that will be best with indie rock and folk such as Sufjan Stevens, Architecture in Helsinki, Suburban Kids with Biblical Names, Vampire Weekend and other bands of that nature.

Bass isnt extremely important to me but I look for wide sound staging, instrument separation, clarity, detail, and transparency.

I know I will eventually end up with RS-1s but I wish to work my way up there.

Right now I am considering the following:

AKG K701
Beyerdynamics DT 880
Sennheiser HD650
Grado SR225
Grado SR325i

I am really leaning towards the 701s. As for a source I am useing a computer hooked up to a I have a Zero DAC/Amp combo and will most likely be buying a Little Dot of some sort or Darkvoice soon.

Tell me what you guys think about my choices and offer any suggestions. Unfortunately there are no shops to my knowledge in Columbus, OH to demo anything but the Grado 225.

Thanks

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Go audition the 225's. They won't give you the K701 qualities that you're looking for, but sure sound pretty dang good and should do well with you're looking into.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 8
I would go for the 225. Perhaps not the greatest soundstage, but for rock its the ticket.

The 701 is a very power hungry (amp dependant) hp that already sounds flat (neutral) even when properly amped.

Go for the 225
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 8
The K701 has the qualities you're looking for, soundstage, detail, clarity and is great for acoustics and female vocals. However, personally I prefer my sennheisers or my grados for casual listening. Sometimes accuracy doesn't equal best sounding :p but these are just my ears.

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by namelock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 has the qualities you're looking for, soundstage, detail, clarity and is great for acoustics and female vocals. However, personally I prefer my sennheisers or my grados for casual listening. Sometimes accuracy doesn't equal best sounding :p but these are just my ears.

I second this. The K701 seems to be known for all of the above qualities, yet... I was never enraptured by them. You might want to stick with grados if you like their signature sound, as I've heard all the way up to GS1000 and it just gets better and better. So perhaps pick up the SR225 or try to grab a used RS2.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Alright well when I have time off in the evenings ill go check out the local audio shop that carries Grados. I know ill eventually work my way to RS-1 but just can justify spending 600 ATM :[

Users who are viewing this thread

Back