Upgrade from Sound Blaster Z to ZXR?
Mar 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CyberAthlete

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a SB-Z and was wondering if it's worth the upgrade to the ZXR. SNR and everything aside, does it drive the headphones louder and does sound signature change (for the better)?

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD 650
Sennheiser HD 598
Shure SRH1540

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 5
if you want more audio performance, you would be better off upgrading to a all in one external dac/amp with optical connection.Then plug the sound blaster z into the optical and send the software suite of the z over to the external dac amp.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the suggestion, any recommendations? I am open to it. Budget prob around $500...Thanks!

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 5
I run a bifrost uber into a asgard 2 my self but that would go over your budget unless you can get ahold of a used bifrost uber or asgard 2 rather on the F/S section, amazon or ebay if your lucky, Other wise the modni 2 uber dac and the magni 2 would be good option as the combo should come out to 249ish on schiit.com yea that's their name as well, which is good enough for you and your wallet,the magni 2 would do your HD650 more justice then the headphone amp on the sound blaster z any way. The modni 2 uber has optical/coaxial which why i mention the uber so you can plug the Z into it for its software suite usage. The Magni 2 is the amp, both modni2 and the magni 2 is small and can be stack on top of each other. Another option is the audio-gd unit's the NFB11 and the NFB15 which both have a different sound from each other and are all in one unit's. From audio-gd.com which is in china and the process which you order from them might put you off as you get a invoice from them first then pay, I bought from audio-gd in the past without any issues but I can't say the same for every one.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Yep. Look into the Audio-GD NFB-11 and NFB-15 dac/headphone amp/pre-amps. The difference between the two is the type of DAC used. The headphone amp and the rest of the electronics are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back