Upgrade from sony mdr-z1r?
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Opinions differ on what closeds sound best lately, (though outdated, the earphiles.org closed shoot-out comes to mind). I have Z1R too and for me getting opens seems the most direct upgrade route. I would expect the Auteurs and the Utopia to be pretty solid improvements for example. You'd need to hear the others like eikon, atticus, & ether flow c's in person head to head to really make a decision on whether any of those options are worth it for you. My hunch is it's likely too marginal to bother given the price range we're talking. Maybe find someone to do a trade.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 7
SR-009 is a good choice. You can get their new DAC/amp combination for $1200. It's the SRM-D50. It's pretty nice.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm considering open backs too, I've been thinking about Stax sr 009 but the need for an expensive amp is what's holding me back.
Yes most pair the 009’s with super high end amps like the Blue Hawaii and Cavalli Liquid Lightening and yes they are awesome but had a chance to hear the 009’s with my Stax SRM1 MKii from a Sony CD player as a source which itself was very high end and thought it preformed very nicely .

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Just did Spritzer's BluTack mod to the SR-007A. Oh man, pretty much every aspect improved except mid-bass impact which decreased. Most notably there is more clarity and soundstage. More realistic sounding, but still sounds a little enclosed and boxy. Maybe due to the shape of the drivers? Big improvement over the LCD-4 and even the Utopia now in my opinion. I recommend doing this, though I haven't compared my headphones with the SR-009 yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back