Upgrade from Sony A15 and Shure se215
Dec 11, 2016 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wyville

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all! I signed up for this forum because I have quite a specific reason for considering an upgrade from my current Sony A15 and Shure se215, and was wondering not just about the advice regarding the DAP/IEMs, but also wanted to see if more people use theirs for similar reasons.

In many ways my DAP/IEMs are my lifeline. I have a neurological condition that prevents my brain from filtering sensory input, which means that my brain tries to consciously register every sound, sight, smell, etc. Living and working in London is hard for most people, for me it is a nightmare and my DAP/IEMs are the best possible way to filter out noise and focus my attention (on the music).

When I bought the Sony a few years ago, I noticed that the improved separation was really helpful to focus my attention and reduce distraction. This helps me when I move around the busy city, as well as during my work. It is such a big help to me that I use my DAP/IEMs around 8 hours a day, which is not always comfortable. I have therefore been contemplating replacing the IEMs, but am also interested in possibly changing the DAP to get a bit more detail and separation in the music.

The question is how far I want/need to go with this. I don't have a fixed budget, but don't want to push it too far either.

IEMs
The Shure se215 have been great, but after extended wearing they can hurt my ears a bit. They also occasionally feel big and the cables over the ear can be annoying at times, especially when it is cold and become quite hard. I would still consider over-the-ear cables, but might also like to try IEMs with the cables straight down.

If I would only replace the IEMs I could probably push up to the price range of the Shure se425. If I also replace the DAP it would be closer to the Shure se315 (just as an indication). I do want the IEMs to be a real step up and they need to be comfortable for extended use. The more detail and separation, the better, and of course passive noise isolation is a real priority. Also, no noise can leak out, as I will wear them at the office.

DAP
I really like the Sony A15 and think it has been a great value for money DAP. It does not need replacing, it would be more of a nice present to myself. I really don't need extensive features, but battery life is quite important. I mainly play CD rips to 16 bit Apple Lossless, 24 bit Apple Lossless files and would like to get better quality in the future. The DAP needs to be sturdy and not too large because I take it everywhere. As an indication for budget: Starting around the price of the Cowon Plenue D, but I could possibly stretch to the AK70. (I quite like the Pioneer 100R.)

I have no specific brand preference, but it will need to be available in the UK (anyone know a good shop in London?) and I want IEMs and/or a DAP that will last for years. (I think my Shures are 5 years old and still going strong.)

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 10
I recommend you spend the money on IEM instead of the DAP. You won't find much improvement (if any) in sound quality by upgrading the DAP. Do you have a sound signature preference? Also you can try tip rolling and changing the cable for comfort. That's what I did with my SE846 and it's much more comfortable now.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks Dulalala, I am leaning that way as well. I think the Sony is pretty good and because I don't use headphones, do not require a lot of power to drive.

In terms of signature I do not really know. I only have experience with these IEMs. I do not like sharp highs and use the equaliser to reduce those. I also tend to increase the low end when I play heavy music for training. For classical music and opera I tend to keep it as neutral as possible (at least in terms of the equaliser on my Sony) with just the highs reduced, as those can be quite painful at times.

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 10
Etymotic ER4 is a good neutral IEM that routes the cable straight down. They have quite a deep seal too which might be good for you since you require isolation. However that deep seal maybe too deep for some people and can be uncomfortable. Depends on the person of course. If not you can always goes with the SE425. They are quite nice and are quite neutral (little bit recessed highs).

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks again Dulalala! I had a look at the ER4, but am indeed a bit concerned about their fit and I have no shop nearby where I can try them. I understand some people change the tips (same size as Shure?), which helps.

I have also looked at the Beyerdynamic idx200 and Klipsch x6i, but I have not yet found a reliable UK store that has them. The Westone W20 also appear as a good option.

What have you used for your own Shures to make them more comfortable? I looked at cables, but can't make heads nor tails of it. I have replaced the tips with SpinFits, which work a bit better than the standard ones (although they appear to have increased the highs), but not quite there yet in terms of comfort. I have used the Comply ones in the past, but find them expensive for how easily they tear and get dirty.

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 10
I don't exactly remember which brand I got for my eartips sorry (all I know is that it is a light grey color), but as for the cable the control/mic cable from Shure is currently what I use. It's quite cheap and is much more comfortable than the stock one. You could try the Westone Star eartips. I heard they're pretty comfortable.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #8 of 10
I've been looking around a bit and thought it might also be interesting to keep the Shures (maybe replace the cable), but also buy a second set of IEMs to switch between them and reduce discomfort that way. That might also allow me to get a better sense of differences in sound signatures before investing in the higher-end IEMs.

Two options I am considering are both from Trinity Audio: the Vyrus and the Phantom Sabre. How do these compare to the Shure se215?

I came across the brand several weeks ago and just realised that they are well known here in the community (part of it, I understand), so that's quite convenient, as I do not really know much about them.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Ah maybe someone else can help chip in then. Haven't heard either of them. Do you by chance have an audio store nearby that sells them (or any other ones you are looking at)? I think it would be best to demo them if possible.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 10
It's quite odd, I live in London and yet find it hard to locate a good audio store. Most of it is high street businesses such as Currys, John Lewis and Selfridges. Those mostly stock Bose and Beats, and in the case of Selfridges, also the most exclusive lines from Final Audio, but not the Heaven IV (for instance). If I could find a good store I would be very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back