Upgrade from Shure SRH750DJ
Mar 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oldmate

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Headfier's,

Have not posted for a while so hope this thread finds all you Headfier's happy and well.

OK I have had the Shure's for quite a while now and I am having a little difficulty in choosing a reasonable upgrade from these cans. 1st of all let me say that apart from the fact I hate the build quality and the constant creaking of these things I have been very happy with sound of them for the price. I must be a bit of a bass head as I do not want to lose that characteristic.

I use them with a rockboxed 5th gen ipod classic and iBasso D6 amp. My musical tastes atm are varied depending on the mood. Right now I am listening to The Bee Gees One Night Only. I also play a lot of Rush and U2. Other Genres include blues, smooth jazz, hard rock (flac). I'm going to need something that is reasonably accomplished for every Genre except classical. I am unable to audition headphones due to where I live (Mid North Coast Eastern Australia). Having to buy before I try makes me a little nervous!!

I'm at the point of giving up as the more I read the more I think I should just hang on to my Shure's and just grab a better cable for them and save myself some dollars for say a better DAP.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-for-SHURE-840-SRH440-SRH940-SRH750DJ-Headphones/1659272325.html

I have the coiled cable ATM.

Budget is up to $350.00 $400.00 AUD. We get ripped off here in Oz so overseas links are ok.

I'm also open to the idea of not upgrading at all if that makes any sense.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Cheers.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm not sure what would be an improvement as I'm not a basshead (not even a little). But I looked at some FR charts to see what might be worth starting to think about, and others who've heard them can tell you more.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 10
Mate, you might as well explain quantum mechanics to me (or bitcoins for that matter!!). I do appreciate your reply however, thanks. Now I can get a pair of DT 880's 32 ohm for $250.00 AUD.

Would that be a significant upgrade to what I have. Yes I do like my bass but obviously have only listened to my current SRH750DJ's.

This would be my last upgrade so if anybody here has the DT 880's would appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Mate, you might as well explain quantum mechanics to me (or bitcoins for that matter!!). I do appreciate your reply however, thanks. Now I can get a pair of DT 880's 32 ohm for $250.00 AUD.

Would that be a significant upgrade to what I have. Yes I do like my bass but obviously have only listened to my current SRH750DJ's.

This would be my last upgrade so if anybody here has the DT 880's would appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

I've heard it plenty and don't think it's right if you like bass; DT990 maybe, but stay away from the 32 ohm.

I was trying to point out that those other two models, SRH1540 & HP50, have the bass you're looking for and are generally well-regarded. So maybe consider a used 1540 or a new NAD, depending on what others can tell you about them.

Quantum physics, now, I don't believe in it (or bitcoins). Cheers!

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 10
You can purchase that same cable in your link for $17.00 AUD on eBay, I recently purchased one for my SHR440 and highly recommend doing so.

Losing that long Shure jack has been a life saver and the cable much nicer overall. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310790201288?var=610218446333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

As for headphones, I cannot help any further.

See you round Straya sometime. :wink:

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 10
I've heard it plenty and don't think it's right if you like bass; DT990 maybe, but stay away from the 32 ohm.

I was trying to point out that those other two models, SRH1540 & HP50, have the bass you're looking for and are generally well-regarded. So maybe consider a used 1540 or a new NAD, depending on what others can tell you about them.

Quantum physics, now, I don't believe in it (or bitcoins). Cheers!

Thanks Claritas - Going to order the Nad's. Will let you know hey they go but in a non audiophile way!!

Cheers Mate.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 10
  You can purchase that same cable in your link for $17.00 AUD on eBay, I recently purchased one for my SHR440 and highly recommend doing so.

Losing that long Shure jack has been a life saver and the cable much nicer overall. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310790201288?var=610218446333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

As for headphones, I cannot help any further.

See you round Straya sometime. :wink:

Thanks for your reply. I will get that cable for the Shure's as well.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 10
  Right now I am listening to The Bee Gees One Night Only. I also play a lot of Rush and U2. Other Genres include blues, smooth jazz, hard rock (flac).

I nominate Sennheiser Momentum

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 10
My NAD's arrived today - If I have only one thing to say it would be if Claritas makes a recommendation you bloody well better listen!!

In a word - these headphones are brilliant. Turns out I'm not a bass head after all. I like to hear it but not to the detriment of the mids and highs. Not saying the Shure's are not any good as they do a great job for the price but now I'm in a different league.

Thank you Claritas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back