upgrade from shure e2cs
May 31, 2007 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

bogalog

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I've skulked around the forums a bit, but its my first time posting, so be gentle!
Like many others i have found, I want to upgrade from my e2cs, mainly due to the wire that goes over the ear cracking.
I have enjoyed the sound from the e2cs, and havent heard anything better, and I'm not sure how i would feel about recessed bass, I would need to be persuaded on that
etysmile.gif
I would be interested to know how the new se210s compare to the e2cs...
I have researched prices, and compiled a list of the possible IEMs to buy. I am going to have around £80, and would prefer not to spend much more than that if possible. Also, portability is quite important, so i would also rather not use a portable amp. (waits for boos and sighs)
super.fi 3 £63
super.fi 5 eb £75
super.fi 5 pro £95
shure e3c £72
shure e4c £104
shure se210 £85
shure se310 £155
ety er6 £48
ety er6i £48
In no particular order. Also, for rough prices in $, double the values
tongue.gif

Thanks very much for any replies, I will check back here tomorrow.
Edit: these are new prices, mostly from ebay. I would consider buying used pairs in good condition, if that would be a good idea. Let me know some general ideas here
tongue.gif

May 31, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bogalog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone, I've skulked around the forums a bit, but its my first time posting, so be gentle!
Like many others i have found, I want to upgrade from my e2cs, mainly due to the wire that goes over the ear cracking.
I have enjoyed the sound from the e2cs, and havent heard anything better, and I'm not sure how i would feel about recessed bass, I would need to be persuaded on that
etysmile.gif
I would be interested to know how the new se210s compare to the e2cs...
I have researched prices, and compiled a list of the possible IEMs to buy. I am going to have around £80, and would prefer not to spend much more than that if possible. Also, portability is quite important, so i would also rather not use a portable amp. (waits for boos and sighs)
super.fi 3 £63
super.fi 5 eb £75
super.fi 5 pro £95
shure e3c £72
shure e4c £104
shure se210 £85
shure se310 £155
ety er6 £48
ety er6i £48
In no particular order. Also, for rough prices in $, double the values
tongue.gif

Thanks very much for any replies, I will check back here tomorrow.
Edit: these are new prices, mostly from ebay. I would consider buying used pairs in good condition, if that would be a good idea. Let me know some general ideas here
tongue.gif

Glad to read that I am not the only one having a problem with the line cracking were it goes over the ear. When it first happened i could not believe it.

Anyway, you pretty much compiled the same list I am looking at for my new set of IEM's. I have kinda narrowed it down to the super.fi 3 and 5 pro, the se310/210 and the e4c. But i still have to do some reading and comparing before i make my final choice.

May 31, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 33
If you enjoy the Shure sound, I would whole heartedly recommend e4's they have most excellent construction and should last well. If you go Shure or westones which you have left off your list then I would also recommend shures olive foamies to you as well.

May 31, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 33
tongue.gif
i realise that se310s might be the best, but I don't think I can afford them at the moment, or anytime in the near future.
I am interested in the e4cs, and would consider stretching my wallet to afford them, but i am concerned that they may not be driven well by my EU iPod nano. Does anyone have experience of e4cs with an iPod nano?
Thanks for the reminder about westones, I could only find the UM2s for £180 on ebay, the UM1s I found in handheldaudio.co.uk for £89.
PS thanks for all the replies guys!

May 31, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

You do know shure will replace this free of charge if their under the two year warranty? I've replace mine three times so far.

May 31, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 33
the problem is that i bought them off ebay, and i think they came from america
As far as i can see on the shure website, i need to provide proof of purchase, which i don't have. If this is wrong, I would probably send them back, and get new ones, but I am still interested in upgrading

May 31, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

the problem is that i bought them off ebay, and i think they came from america
As far as i can see on the shure website, i need to provide proof of purchase, which i don't have. If this is wrong, I would probably send them back, and get new ones, but I am still interested in upgrading

Check the date code on the plug. If the manufacturing date indicated by the code is less than two years ago, Shure will replace them. You check Shure's website for information on how to translate the date code to a date.

May 31, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 33
E4s are a good upgrade point from the E2s. They have a higher emphasis on the mid-high spectrum so you may need to EQ a bit to compensate for the lower spectrum.

They have outstanding build quality; the best of all the Shures that I've owned. I've been using mine for over 2 years without a hitch (they tag along when I'm in the gym as well).

May 31, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the date code on the plug. If the manufacturing date indicated by the code is less than two years ago, Shure will replace them. You check Shure's website for information on how to translate the date code to a date.

frown.gif

"PLEASE NOTE: You must keep your receipt showing proof of purchase to guarantee your warranty."
"You should retain proof of purchase to validate the purchase date and return it with any warranty claim."
I dont have a receipt because i bought them off ebay.
Also, i cant find how to work out when they were bought, but the code on them is 0936

May 31, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

ok, thanks DJ, ill look at e4 rather than e3
I was wondering how the dual drivers in the ue 5 pro compare to the e4, anyone heard both and can give me a comparison?

I would be interested in knowing this also.

I think i have narrowed it down to the Super.fi 5 pro, shure e4c, se310 and the westone UM1 (wish i could add in the UM2 but i can stretch the budget that much).

And like you i bought my e2c used which, while getting them at a good price, it did have the disadvantage of no receite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back