Upgrade from Sennheiser HD555
Jul 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kowalski74

New Head-Fier
I have the Sennheiser HD555 and now, although i like them very much, i want to replace them with better headphones. I use them mainly for movies, listen soundtracks (for which the hd555 are very good), classic rock, hard rock, gothic/industrial metal and occasionally electronic music. For rock and all those last genres i think the HD555 are not very good. I don't know how to say it, they sound a bit ... ¿flat? ¿smooth? ¿without energy? The soundstage is good, but I think they lack a bit of definition for rock and a powerful bass for gothic/industrial/electrical music (the bass are very good and textured, but without punch). Maybe this is cause I don't have an amp, I use directly my PC sound card. Now I have purchased the Asus Xonar Essence STX (it has not arrived yet), with integrated amp, and I hope that some of those issues could be fixed.

Anyway, I want to upgrade to a better headphones. Finally, after reading forums and reviews, and considering availability, I'm choosing one of those (in the range of 200€ - 300€):

Sennheiser HD600/HD650
Audio Technica AD900
AKG K701
Beyer Dynamic DT880
Grado sr225i
Denon AH-D2000 (closed headphones)

Which is the difference between them? How is their sound signature? I know that is difficult or impossible to find a good pair of headphones that performs very well with any genre of music. Only what I want is that they sound good overall, or at least that they perform better where the HD555 fails. A headphones not so "laid-back", more funny or engaging, with more clarity. Good for all kind of rock and music with bass and ambience (gothic, Industrial, etc…).

I think the best could be the Denon AH-2000 (closed, with clarity and powerfull bass, but with less soundstage, I think). Another great contender is the Beyer Dynamic DT880, semi-open, overall good, better soundstage but with less bass. The Sennheiser could not be a great option because they are more "laid-back", very very good but with similar sound signature than HD555, isn't it? I don`t know very much about AKG and Audio Technica, but they seem to lack bass. And the Grados are known to be the best for rock, but I don`t now how well they will perform with other music (how is their sound signature?).

Wich one would you recommend me?

Oh, finally again, sorry for my poor english!

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 4
The Grado's give a very forward sound, great detail and punchy bass. Great for rock/metal and they hold their own with other genres as well. I liked the Sr325i even with classical. The opposite of the HD555 and may be just what you want.

The HD650 is a big step up from the HD555, and if you amp it right I would never call it boring, but that is an extra cost you have to consider. Without an amp they sound decent, but without that energy you look for.

I listened to the DT880, very detailed intimate headphone, bass was right but no overpowering. nice sound but I preferred the HD650 because it gave a fuller sound. Certainly one to audition.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado's give a very forward sound, great detail and punchy bass. Great for rock/metal and they hold their own with other genres as well. I liked the Sr325i even with classical. The opposite of the HD555 and may be just what you want.

The HD650 is a big step up from the HD555, and if you amp it right I would never call it boring, but that is an extra cost you have to consider. Without an amp they sound decent, but without that energy you look for.

I listened to the DT880, very detailed intimate headphone, bass was right but no overpowering. nice sound but I preferred the HD650 because it gave a fuller sound. Certainly one to audition.

Yes, I second the comments about the 650. They do need an amp. Almost sold mine until I started to amp them correctly and realized what I was missing. The Asus Xonar Essence STX will drive the 650 appropriately.
I also agree with the DT880. That one was my main headphone for many years and gave me lots of musical pleasure but I rarely listen to it today as I have other headphones that I prefer for various reasons. From memory, the DT880 will get the job done, it's very clear across all musical spectrum, and handles all music forms fine. I will have to listen to it again to see what exactly keeps me from going back to it.

Both the Denon AH-D2000 and the Audio Technica AD900 would do well with what your interests are and can be found much cheaper than the 650. The Denon may have a bit to much bass for movies and games but that may be a good thing if you like big explosions. The D2000 also works well with the Asus soundcard but will work fine without a amp if needed. The D2000 has a slight coloration with classical but still sounds fine to my ears. From memory it handled rock just fine as well.

I can't comment on the Grado as I've only owned the Grado SR-80. That Grado captured highs really well, with the guitars crunching nicely, but I thought didn't do as well with other types of music (I gave it to my daughter who only listens to rock, indie, and punk - she loves it).

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 4
will you keep the HD555 for movies etc or are you selling them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back