Upgrade from Sennheiser HD555
Sep 25, 2008 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
hello there. I've been tired of my HD555's for a while now and I'm looking to get another pair of headphones to replace these. I actually was never too content with the sound of these, but that might be because my dad owned a pair of HD650's and K701's which I borrowed from time to time until he moved a bit further away.
buuut, I could never get motivated to buy a pair of more expensive headphones.
aaand, as I love music over almost everything else, I realized I should probably enhance my listening experience permanently instead of just having temporary fun with my dads headphones. I must say I liked the HD650's a bit more than the AKG K701's, with the music I listened to with them.
most of my music is bought and ripped onto my computer in .flac format, just in case that would mean anything.

I mostly listen to post-rock/ambient/electronica/shoegaze/sludge kind of genres, but also like other kinds of music, some indie-rock (is that even a genre?) with mostly mellow guitars. not a big fan of bass/dark sounding guitars at all.
so I thought about the grado SR325i's, since I read those are awesome for guitars, might be mistaken though, but they should have great detail?
but but but, I also got the idea that they have a really tight soundstage, which didn't sound too tempting, but I don't know what to compare with it.
the soundstage of my HD555's are pretty okay, I like it, driven from my audigy 2 ZS. (please don't kill me, I am going to build a headphone amp really soon and perhaps get the E-MU 0404 USB when I get munnies)

so, looking to spend at max 400euros, which is about 600$. preferably lower but I'm reaaaally in the mood to spend money, been a while since I actually saved up some money and not just bought small things like music albums and all that.

phew, it's getting really late here... school in about 3 hours. feels like I've written something non-understandable. sorry about that. need to get some sleep. I wonder if this message looks shorter than it might actually be...
redface.gif

I spend a lot of my time in front of the computer with music on like 90% of the time, so I'd really prefer if they were comfortable.
and also in black color, since I don't have a thing on my desk that is not black at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks in advance!

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I wonder why other head-fi'ers dont jump on threads like this to spend someone else's money.

Oh yes, people ignore you when your post count is less than 50 and you dont have avatar.(personal experience here)

Moving on, Did you plan on spending 600 for just the cans?

I say if you really want something high end that will last you and is comfortable, go for a pair of RS1's or RS2's if you can. They sound just right for the type of music you listen to, and are generally comfortable.

I cant vouch for comfortability how ever as i've only worn them for 30 min. They were comfortable for the time i wore them but i know there are tons of suggestions for making them more comfortable.

Color is Black and wood, but hey who doesnt love wood?

If you want something more warm than these than go for the HD650s.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Haha, well, not really bothered by that... (avatar fixed too!)
Huh, are RS1's only 600$ in USA? They're about 1000$ in Sweden... while the RS2's are about 850, and still a bit too much.

I don't know how to look for Grado's cheaper anywhere around Europe, but I don't think I'll find them much cheaper?

I also read about the Alessandro headphones which seem to be a little more neutral than the Grado-Aggressive sound. Not sure if that's better though, I like the Grado SR80's I have tried. Also found a pair of Alessandro MS-2i very cheap, about 200$, but not sure at all about those.

Wood is good, my desk is wooden so it should match pretty good there too... :p

Grado SR325i are about 350e in Sweden, I think that's around 500$? if there is anyone who happen to know about prices in europe it would be helpful.

Thanks for the answer!

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 8
I haven't had much experience with the alessandro series but i hear lots of good things about them. If you can i'd say go for those as well.

Another thing to consider, alot of people on these forums are constantly selling great used cans for great prices. Look around on the For Sale forum and you may get lucky on a deal. I also notice that there are alot of people in the EU on the forums so shipping and prices should match what you're expecting.

as for the 325i's go for them, if you want them. they are great cans, but for the amount of money you're willing to put out, you can definately get better. Or you can just get those and buy an amp too.

Sep 25, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm building my own amp currently so I hope it will do fine, it's a Millett Hybrid Amplifier (going to start with the Starving Student version first, and if I think I can do better I'll get the MAX'ed version) so I hope it should do fine. Kinda curious about tube amps.

That price was pretty good. What is the thing about "buttonless" version?
"I purchased them just before the buttonless versions came out last year."
Is it just without the logotype little wooden buttons on the sides? If so, that's not an issue at all...

I think I'll contact that seller, that's a great price actually. I hope I can get them without needing to pay taxes and such.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 8
No problem, just spending your money for you.

Remember though that it is your money and you should only buy what you like. Don't let people sway you too much, in the end if you like what you bought then you'll be fine.

Do allow people to give you advice though.

As for the Starving student amp. I love mine. alot

want a maxxed but i dont really need another amp now. Good luck in your future head fi adventures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back