Upgrade from Sennheiser HD439
Mar 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hardRocker1423

New Head-Fier
I have had a pair of Sennheiser HD439 headphones for a while, and I am now looking for an upgrade. The HD439's have been very good, and have actually inspired me to appreciate better sound, and have gotten me more interested in that stuff. However, after using them for a while, I've decided I would like to upgrade, so I can hear even more detail from my music. 

My question is, which headphone and amp comp should I get? I have a budget of around 400-500 CAD for both headphone and amp. I mostly use my headphones for listening to music. I listen to hard rock, punk rock, from bands like Shinedown, Within Temptation, Three Days Grace, Black Stone Cherry, etc. As for open or closed, I would be using them mostly (99%) at home,  without much outside noise, so it doesn't really matter as long as they have decent soundstage. Some of my main needs, is that the bass can't be lacking (The amount on my HD439 were fine), and I'd like them to have a bit more clamping force than the HD439s. They were quite loose, and I could feel a very noticeable better sq when I pushed them to my ears. From reading this, and other forums, some headphones that I have found that might be good are the Senns HD598 or HD600, Mad Dogs by Mr Speakers, Vmoda m-100, and more. As for an amp, I have zero idea, so I would greatly appreciate it if you could mention an amp to go with any headphone suggestion, but my only requirement, is that it's portable (I understand that a lot of headphones getting into the 300-400 range need amps to sound their best). 

Sorry if thats a bit much, but I am REALLY new to higher end headphones. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/opinions!

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 5
What sources will the headphones be plugged into?
Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 5
They will either be plugged into my retina Macbook pro, or my iPad mini 2, playing either 320kb/s mp3 or flac music. Like I said, I do plan to have a headphone amp. And as for the open/closed, it really doesn't matter to me, if anything, maybe I'd prefer open, as it's supposed to give better soundstage, and I plan to be using them at home, with minimal outside noise, and few people to annoy with my music.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 5
After looking around for a while, I've decided ont the Mad Dog pro by Mr Speakers. They fit my budget, and have great reviews. Does anyone have a portable amplifier recommendation for these for around $100 CAD?

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 5
  They will either be plugged into my retina Macbook pro, or my iPad mini 2, playing either 320kb/s mp3 or flac music. Like I said, I do plan to have a headphone amp. And as for the open/closed, it really doesn't matter to me, if anything, maybe I'd prefer open, as it's supposed to give better soundstage, and I plan to be using them at home, with minimal outside noise, and few people to annoy with my music.

The Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) and ATH-AD900X (open) headphones are only around 40-Ohms.
So you would not need a headphone amplifier to use them with a Macbook or iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back