Upgrade from Sennheiser HD 598
Jun 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JmanOfIsrael

100+ Head-Fier
I am a fairly new audiophile. I don't have the lingo quite down so bare with me. When my skullcandy G.I.'s broke I decided to give a used pair of HD 598's a try. I will never forgive myself for the months I spent with skullcandy's around my ears. The HD 598 are unlike anything I'd ever heard; I basically flatlined. I love the depth of the soundstage when listening to well recorded music (Pink Floyd, Supertramp, etc.) and the separation the 598's give most pieces of music, especially orchestral pieces, is incredible. They aren't the least bit fatiguing and they handle vocals incredibly well; even the bass comes in strong, deep, and tight (you can occasionally catch me using the 598's to blast Deadmau5). I usually drive them with an old Pioneer receiver which seems to do the trick.

In an effort to convert my sister to a fellow audiophile I bought her some Grado sr60i's and have fallen in love with them during the burn-in period. Although I never wish to part with my 598's the Grado's offer such an amazing, unique sound that I am having trouble describing. They seem to be more "in your face" and the bass is much more punchy. I am tempted to look deeper into what Grado has to offer but I would like advice from the professionals before I go out and begin auditioning headphones. The only genre I tend to stray from is country.

Would you all recommend I look into Grado's such as the PS500 (very interested) or the RS 1i? I admire the 598's sweet, warm, engulfing sound but the sr60i's are so much fun to listen to as well. What other phones should I look at? Should I consider Senn's HD 600's or 650's. I don't think I am necessarily looking to upgrade my 598's but rather I'm looking to purchase another sublime set of cans.  I am at a loss and would love some sound advice from people with far more experienced ears than my own.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 3
The Grado RS line offers the Grado SR sound (but better) coupled with a much enhanced sound stage.  The RS drivers coupled with the wood ear cups gives the RS cans a natural, organic sound that is not as strident as the SR's.  If you don't have the extra $200, get the RS-2.

I have not heard the PS-500.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 3
I dont have too much listening time with the p500s but the 650s may be a good upgrade, I think they strike a good balance of fun and detailed and the rs1/2 are also fantastic but I dont think the hd600 is much of a upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back