Upgrade from Senn 650 to what? For music...
Mar 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #17 of 55
Fox3a should probably bring his hd650s to a store with some headphone amps he can try so that he can sort of get an idea whether different amps give enough of a change to possibly make him be satisfied with the hd650s. If not then buy new cans...

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #18 of 55
Yeah that seems to be the best choice donunus. IMO, it seems more logical to get some easier to drive headphones and save on expensive amps. Of course I want everything so I can't follow this path
tongue.gif
. I'm also stupid.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #19 of 55
No, I am saying we shouldn't assume things one way or the other.

EDIT:

I think some of the responses above are a bit infantile.

"Head-Fi logic" assumed the OPs Denon receiver would be inferior to a headphone amp without even knowing the model number.

I was saying we don't know for sure it is not perfectly good, or even great, given my experience with Denon headphone out.

It seems to be I was advising caution and others were making wild assumptions...

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 55
I recommend getting a decent amp and try the HD650 again. right..they don't have the punch or the bass quantity like the denons does,but they get quite better with a proper amplification. anyway,if you looking for a DRAMATIC change in the sound and especially in the bass region,definitely get the denons. just so you know what you will get...they have the kind of WOW factor that will blow you away for a very long time if you are looking for that extremely euphoric ,unnatural,coloured in an audiophilic way sound. the senns are very neutral,"flat" sounding in comparison so they are also a good compliment to the denons imo.
the reason I recommended getting an amp first is because if you still don't like the HD650 you will also need a nice amp for the denons as well, so getting a dedicated amp is a good idea anyway if you don't have one.

good luck!

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 55
I would upgrade the source first, then amp second. Your headphones are already the best in their price range IMO.
If you're looking for a lot more bass, go for a Denon D5000.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #23 of 55
Yeah it is wild to make an assumption about a receiver you don't even know the model number of, and then it is infantile when someone else points out that to attempt to come down on them to protect your own ego.

To the OP - definitely try out other headphone amps if you can - but don't pay too much attention to people offering their "expert opinion" on a receiever they do not know the model number of and have not heard.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah it is wild to make an assumption about a receiver you don't even know the model number of, and then it is infantile when someone else points out that to attempt to come down on them to protect your own ego.

To the OP - definitely try out other headphone amps if you can - but don't pay too much attention to people offering their "expert opinion" on a receiever they do not know the model number of and have not heard.

I think you may be over reacting just a tad. You're digging a hole in the ground to defend against someone who doesn't care. I don't have a huge ego and the only one who is acting infantile and coming down on others is you lol.

Chill out.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #25 of 55
Dude, I am chilled.

I just find it funny that everyone declared a receiver they did not know the model number of insufficient to drive HD650s, then when I suggested we not make assumptions, got on my case.

Where is the "hole" I am digging?

The hole that has been dug is around the claim that the OPs as yet un-known receiver is insufficient to drive HD650s...

...good luck justifying that one.
wink.gif

Eddie out
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #26 of 55
Let's get things straight. The HD650 is not an easy to drive headphone. I never said his receiver was up to the task or not. Most receivers have crappy headphone amp sections BUT there are some beauties that perform well. While there are some good ones out there, they are not representative of all receivers. End of story.

If there's something else, I'm happy to take it to a PM. Otherwise, stop countering my non existent argument.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #27 of 55
Dude,

Don't take it personally. You weren't the only one to make the baseless claim about the un-known receiever, and I did not aim my comment at you, but you are the only one to react as though this about you and me rather than about the OP's wallet.

Please consider that he came here for advice and was being given advice that could lead him to spend hundreds of pounds and was potentially wrong. Potentially it was right, but none of us know that. The best thing he could do is to try and audition some hp amps and see what he thinks.

I used to buy the claim that you absolutely needed a dedicated headphone amp, but that has been proved to me to be false. I personally do own headphone amps for the reason you gave - many integrated amps and receivers have headphone outs as an after-though with no care given to their quality. I don't know which are which as very little has been written about integrated amps as headphone amps here, so I play it safe. The fact is I have heard a Denon integrated amp's headphone out wipe the floor with well-regarded budget hp amps like the little dot series, so know Denon cannot be considered one of those companies a priori.

I also don't think HD650 are particuarly hard to drive, they need a fair bit of power but they are not overly sensitive.

Anyway, I think this is a good place to put this down, this is my last post on this thread.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #28 of 55
Ha! You're just discovering that the suggestion that many integrated's/receiver's headphone jacks can sound as good or better than budget to mid-priced dedicateds can elicit some very savage responses, such that you would think some people have a vested interest in proving that speaker amps are not even worth investigating. I've been trying here for years to stir up more interest in speaker amps, mostly with no success despite many posters (over a period) sharing their positive experiences with different integrateds etc. Nope. People are determined to believe that a) all receivers/integrateds use 50c op amps to drive their headphone jacks (proven wrong many times) or b) nothing not specifically designed for headphones has a chance of sounding good with headphones even by accident. The weird thing is, people keep posting that phones like the 650 need a lot of juice and can't sound good without it, but what could have more juice than a 50w amp? You even see posts advising people who've just said they own Denon or Marantz integrateds to buy a Cmoy, presumably rather than use the jacks on their integrateds--it's that ingrained.

I'm becoming sanguine now. I don't grit my teeth so much anymore, but I definitely avoid threads where I can predict the sort of advice being given--and that's most threads. Soon I'll drift out of Head-Fi and many will be happier for it. I probably will be too.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend getting a decent amp and try the HD650 again. right..they don't have the punch or the bass quantity like the denons does,but they get quite better with a proper amplification. anyway,if you looking for a DRAMATIC change in the sound and especially in the bass region,definitely get the denons. just so you know what you will get...they have the kind of WOW factor that will blow you away for a very long time if you are looking for that extremely euphoric ,unnatural,coloured in an audiophilic way sound. the senns are very neutral,"flat" sounding in comparison so they are also a good compliment to the denons imo.
the reason I recommended getting an amp first is because if you still don't like the HD650 you will also need a nice amp for the denons as well, so getting a dedicated amp is a good idea anyway if you don't have one.

good luck!

x2 : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back