Upgrade from Senn 650 to what? For music...
Mar 22, 2010 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Fox3a

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys, it's been a long time since I've been here, but it's because I've been happy with my audio stuff, but now.. It's time to upgrade a little. Just to preface, a lot of this audio stuff is like a different language to me, and I don't have any interest in becoming a pro at it, at least not at the moment, so please keep it as simple as possible. I'll tell you what I have, and please just tell me what I need to buy. Thanks!

Right now I listen to music on my computer, and that's how I enjoy it. I don't want to change that. I listen to a very wide range of music, mostly pop-rock though. I love very high notes that are clear, but I also really like bass, which I don't seem to have at the moment. I really want more bass, and maybe more color? Everything is just a little too flat and unlively.

Current setup: Auzen X-FI Prelude sound card - Digital Out - Denon receiver (forget which one, high end older one, was about $150 used a year ago, and I also use it to power my speakers (which aren't important to me). Then Senn HD650 which are stock.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current setup, just want a little more bass, and I think more importantly, a change.

I want to upgrade my headphones, unless if it is heavily suggested that I upgrade something else, like my receiver. I'd love to sell my HD650 and break even, or only put in a little more, not looking to spend a ton here, but nothing is set in stone. What's good for music? Grado? What model?

Thanks guys!

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 55
I got the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000.
It's more detailed, with better instrument separation, more forward mids and better bas extension (but a bit less mid-bass). And this is compared to my balanced HD650, take that as you will.
It's easier to drive so it will probably sound better than your HD650s do, considering that it is better SE than my balanced HD650, and sounds good out of my Teclast T51 (uses way less battery to get the same volume too).

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 55
I agree with your bass extension and mids evaluation, but to say that Ad2000 is more detailed than HD650 is a stretch, AD2000 has weird instrument placement for me. Both are colored, but I like HD650 coloration much more than AD2000 one. I loved AD2000's speed though.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 55
The ad2k also doesnt have more bass than the hd650 which was one of the reasons for Fox3a wanting to get rid of the hd650s for in the first place. I say try the denon d5000

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 55
sorry for not reading your post tru
but I recommend JH13, they are pretty cool
I never thought I can stick something into my ear, but JH13 did it for me
I am done
I just need volume regulator for my desktop gear
that's why I am back to forum

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 55
Well I don't think your Senns are getting enough juice. That aside, I don't think the AD2000 is the HD650 'done right' as so many members report. Sure, I like it better than the Senn but I like the coloured mid range which I don't expect everyone to like too. I agree with donunus that the AD2000 has less bass than the Senns.

If you're after a little more bass, I'm not sure the Denons are the answer. The D2000 gave a lot more bass but I'm not sure how the D5000s sound. However, I'm not a bass head and numerous people enjoy the bass level from Denons.

smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox3a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current setup: Auzen X-FI Prelude sound card - Digital Out - Denon receiver (forget which one, high end older one, was about $150 used a year ago, and I also use it to power my speakers (which aren't important to me). Then Senn HD650 which are stock.

Keep your HD650 and find a proper HEADPHONE amp for it. When properly amped you may find the HD650 a whole different animal.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 gave a lot more bass but I'm not sure how the D5000s sound. However, I'm not a bass head and numerous people enjoy the bass level from Denons.

smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck.

Basically the d5000 is a more musical d2000 because of the mids and highs being much better IMO. The bass can be a little sloppy but what else can I recommend with more bass than the 650 but wont sound a little sloppy, hmmmm I would be interested if someone could chime in and recommend something like that also for my sake
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 55
I suggest a better a better amp. Might just be what your looking for but you just don't know it.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 55
Another bassier than HD650 headphone that you might want to check out is the Ultrasone Pro 900, stock it has a lot of bass and with Kees mod you can regulate the quantity of bass. Maybe the D5000 as some others have suggested, its a bigger change from the hd650 than the pro900.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You in the market for yet another flavour change mate?

tongue.gif

Even though I'm not getting something else, I'm always on the prowl for the holy grail
evil_smiley.gif

I have some semi budget cans coming by the way(beyer dt440s). I hope they are decent for listening to my ipod at my porch hehehe

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #14 of 55
I don't think all should assume his Denon receiver doesn't do the job.

I tried my HD650 on the headphone out of a friend's Denon integrated (after giving him a lengthy lecture on a how a dedicated headphone amp would be superior) and found it slaughtered my LD MK V and from memory P4Z's LD MK VII I tried at a meet

In fact I'd never heard the HD650 sound so good.

Denon don't mess around with their headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back