upgrade from Phonaks?
Jul 2, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hmai18

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the phonaks for about 8 months now and have been relatively happy with them. However, the strain relief at the jack is pretty bad and if the cable is moved around, even just a bit, my right channel cuts out. I'm probably going to send them back for a warranty claim, but have been thinking about what I'll get next.

I tried a pair of Shure 530s on a lark over the weekend and was blown away. The problem is, I can't afford to pay full retail for them. I've looked in the FS forum and am following a few leads, but am wondering what the next step up would be while hopefully keeping things to under $200.

I listen to mostly rock/punk-rock (Rise Against), jazz with female vocals (Diana Krall, Melody Gardot, etc) and classic orchestral. Source is an un-amped iPod video.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 11
IE7 if you can get a good price
JVC HA FX-500 is a steal given its sound and price tag (as new converts will rave
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
klipsch x10/ety er4

Those two sound nowhere near each other.. how could you recommend both of those?

What does the OP want to get from his new pair of IEM's?? Similar, different.. what different?

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 11
I just wanted to say that the IE8 handles Savior, Behind Closed Doors, Paper Wings, and well quite frankly everything Rise does with unbelievable aplomb (it translates all of Tim McIlrath's passion perfectly IMHO). If the IE7 is anything like it..

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 11
I'm not going back to Klipsch Images. I had the X-5s before the PFEs and my problem was having the plugs stick out of my ears when I was trying to wear a hat during the winter.

What blew me away most with the 530s compared to the PFEs was the soundstage, I guess. I fired up the score from the Dark Knight and played I'm Not a Hero and A Dark Knight and couldn't get over how open the soundstage sounded compared to the Phonaks. All of the instruments just sounded more pronounced without being overpowering. Same when I put on Elgar's cello concerto. With Rise Against, everything just sounded punchier.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 11
Your budget is pretty tight. I would see X 10 is good upgrade. Warm but a good clarity, if you have no problem with PFE bass, x 10 would be fine to you. X10 is FS section is around 160-175

Next choice is that you can get a decent amp, like T4, X5, D10. I remembered a member here reported amped PFE was almost equal to SE 530 with custom tips

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 11
As I already mentioned, I will not be going back to the Klipsch Image series because of the shape of the bud and the way they protrude.

Managed to find an IE7 for a decent price, so I'm waiting for those to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back