Upgrade from MS-1
Mar 4, 2010 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

newphile

New Head-Fier
I've had my MS-1's for around 3 years and have enjoyed them immensely, though now it seems the right driver is going out. The sound cuts on/off but only a couple times for the 4-5 hours I listen almost everyday. I love the direct sound and the biting bass, and the smooth mid-range. I now want a different sound, something more enveloping with a deeper bass but not over-powering, smoother/lusher more laid back mid-range and some airiness.

I've been reading about the AKG 702, Sennheiser 595 and Audio Technica ESW9. I would prefer not having to buy an amp, but if I could drive the 702's well with something $80 or under I'll be ok with that.

Source of my music is not that good, majority of listening is on the computer with just the onboard sound, I do have an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card but its never worked properly with Vista or Win 7. Thoughts? How big of a jump should I expect from these?

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 15
Source is more important than the amp IMO until where you start spending a lot.

I dont think you'd like the K70X as the sound sig is quite different (also need a beefy amp). The HD595.. Similar to the HD555 imo. Not sure on the ESW9 as I haven't used them but i've heard good things about them. I'd say its the complete opposite really. If you like the Alessandro/Grado house sound, perhaps you should try something like the SR325i. Easy to drive (scales with an amp) and will sound probably the most similar to your MS-1i, just with more resolution.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 15
The sound cutting in and out might be due to a loose connection. Perhaps some modding is in store for your MS-1s. Recable them and turn them into a MS1000! Upgraditis solved
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound cutting in and out might be due to a loose connection. Perhaps some modding is in store for your MS-1s. Recable them and turn them into a MS1000! Upgraditis solved
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no idea how that didn't cross my mind.. I mean.. its cutting out so obviously its not going to be the driver. A dead driver is a dead driver lol. I'm going to agree with this statement. Get them recabled! Much cheaper than buying a new pair!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by newphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading about the AKG 70X....if I could drive the 702's well with something $80 or under I'll be ok with that.

Never going to happen.

If you're after some full sized headphones, maybe consider ATs. Otherwise stick with what works for you - Grados. As Chews said, you might be able to fix your MS-1s.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by newphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...think modding is the way to go.

Modding can be a good option, too.
If you want to upgrade, you really need a bigger budget. Maybe because you need to buy high end headphones. They may cost low but they need also amplifiers that may cost more than the headphones, like AKG K701.

In the end, if you want to upgrade with the feeling that you have really have upgraded, is "prepare your wallet."

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 15
I'd agree that it's worth looking into fixing the MS-1, especially if it just turns out to be a bad connection. 

I don't recommend the K701/2 personally. It's a good headphone and excels in some areas, but its sound signature doesn't suit me. I enjoy the MS-1 more, even though the K701/2 is technically superior.

I've listened to the SR325is and liked them quite a bit. Going by hearsay I expected them to sound harsh, but I thought the treble was smooth and extended, even if it was a bit prominent. They're heavy though, and may not be good for long listening. 

I have an Ultrasone HFI-680 that I like a lot. I also have the Fischer FA-003 that I like a little bit more at the moment. My wife's favorite headphone has been the MS-1. She prefers them to everything else I've acquired, though that's strictly her opinion. She does put the Fischer in equal standing, so I'd consider them fun to listen to while still sounding neutral. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 15
I loved my MS1 too, until it died recently. rattle in left driver. and I always thought the HD25 and the MS1 shared a similar signature.

Newphile, why not going for the MS2? I know I plan to do it sometime in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back