Upgrade from modded KSC-75, suggestions?
May 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Th3l4st0ne

New Head-Fier
Hi there, 1st post long lurker, I must say thanks for all the great guides. They definitively helped me get a good headphone.

But it only lasted 2 months. I snapped the wire off them while going at school and failed miserably at fixing them as the diaphragm heated up while soldering, making my right phone play no more bass. And now I just received the PX-200 earpads I had ordered.

I really liked the sound of my KSC-75, but I don't feel like buying the same thing twice, so I'm juggling between the guides.

The things I want:
-Good soundstage: I'm a gamer who spends lot of time playing, so I want something that has more than a single purpose.
-Good treble/mids: those were the reason that I loved the KSC75.
-Price less than 50$: I had to pay 25$ for my KSC75 when in the US they cost around 15, so I guess headphones are more    
                               expensive in Canada.
-Portability: I move a lot, even when I'm playing
-Low sound pressure: Another thing I want to keep from the KSC75 is the comfort. I never had a headache with them on.

What I can put aside: 
-Isolation: It's nice, but I can live without it.
-Bass: Same as above.
-Style: As long as they're not ugly, I don't care about it

What I do not want:
-Flashy-funky colors / Retro-style: I'm going to haul them almost all day long and I don't like when people keep staring at me.
-BassHead phones: My head hurt when there's too much bass going on.
-Cheap construction: I take care of my stuff, but I still like having something sturdy on my head that won't break if dropped once.

I mainly listen to Metal, mainly bands like Across the Sun, The Sorrows, The Unguided, Parkway Drive and One Last Hero. I also like to listen to some smoother genres time to time, always depends on my mood.

Thanks in advance!

Also, my media player is a Sansa Clip+, and my computer is running an ASUS Xonar DS.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 2
Hum, I have the pmx680i, and think they are much better than the ksc75, at least when run from the sansa clip. They are more comfy, and more convenient when running/moving.
I don't find the mids/highs on ksc75 that good, unless perhaps you run them from a good source like your xonar ds. The main improvement of pmx680, I think is on the bass, it is surprising how much bass you could get from small ear buds, and I found it cleaner. Also I prefer the overall clarity of the pmx680. Soundstage I don't know, I think the ksc75 has a great soundstage , I think the soundstage of pmx680 is a bit smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back