Upgrade from Meze 11 Neo (updated with additional info)
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BbOO

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using the Meze 11 Neo for 1 year now, and i really like them. Would prefer to upgrade to something with more detail and sound stage, but with the same signature (if that is even the right word) ,isolation, and fit, as the Neo's.
What would be some options to consider with a max budget of 200 Eur/USD? I would be mostly listening from my LG V30 and Sony NW-A45 (without any amp/dac for now).

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 3
So i was able to get some additional information, and i am currently considering these:
- Ikko OH10 (issues: coating issues, cable is not great, heavy)
- Fiio FH5 (pluses: looks great and isolates well, build quality)
- Fiio FA7 (issues: bass "bleed". pluses: looks stunning, great isolation, build quality)
- Massdrop Plus (issue: cable is not great, price is high)

Some additional information (and probably repetition):
- I would like to be able to drive them without additional amps/dac.
- Isolation is important (not 100% just enough to not be distracted).
- Comfort and durability is a big consideration as i will wear them for 2-3 hrs a day.
- I mostly listen to electronic (50%), r&b and soul (30%), pop & vocals (20%) from Spotify or high quality MP3s and FLACs.
- Based on the readings, i think i like a neutral sound with just enough bass (not overemphasized).

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 3
The 3 IEMs you are listing all have very different signatures and also quite different to the Neo 11.
Actually the Meze has an unusual signature, as it has a boosted mid bass, flat 1-2kHz and then the "pinna gain" peaking at 5kHz instead of the usual 2-4kHz.

For your music styles actually the OH1 and FH5 might be the better match, but going by reviews only. I heard the OH1 briefly and found it a little bright leaning, the FH5 should be a bit more neutral there.
The FA7 is described as boring, warm and lacking in detail by Crinacle, which sounds like the opposite of what you are looking for.

I'd check out the FH5, read about it and see if it could be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back