Upgrade from K271?
Sep 25, 2005 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got the K271 a week ago and I absolutely love them, but already I'm wondering about possibly upgrading them. I don't have an amp (yet) but even without one, I'm getting the impression that the K271 is veiling the sound somewhat. I've been A/B-ing against my $150 speakers, which are currently the highest-end sound system I have, and they give better clarity and extension of highs (the satellites do have tweeters which probably helps). And better soundstage. The last thing I was expecting out of the K271 was for it to be "pwned" by my speakers, I'm kinda disappointed.

Will an amp fix this problem? Or should I go with something higher-end than the K271? The next price bracket for me is the $200-$300 range, what closed cans fall into that and are clearly a step above the K271?

On a final note, damn you Head-Fi.
tongue.gif
This site really does lead to money drains!

Sep 25, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 4
An amp should let the K271S resolve some more detail and extension. However, it won't change your overall feelings about the headphone. I ran the K271S directly out of my M-Audio Audiophile 192, and while they weren't as good as with the amp, they still had the same general characteristics.

Soundstage is always going to be somewhat limited on headphones obviously, but the K271S a bit moreso in that regard, partially because they're closed, partially because... that's just the way they sound. I actually find they strike a nice balance between Grados and Beyers, etc.

As far as the "veiled" sound... the K271S is far from neutral. It's a rather dark sounding can, and emphasizes the mids (and IMO the bass as well, to an extent), while the highs are rolled-off. The detail is there, but it's not going to jump out at you because of the rolled-off highs.

Ooh, just read your profile... electronica. Yeeeaaaah... personally I enjoy the K271S for electronic music, but I must admit they are far from the best. You could try listening to the K271S more to see if you get more accustomed to their sound, but from what it sounds like, you're not partial to their sonic signature.

If you do decide to go for a different can, I would recommend looking at the Beyerdynamic line (DT880 is my absolute favorite for electronic music, although you may want more bass, in which case I'd look at the DT990), the Sony SA5000 (although over your budget), or you can wait for impressions on the new AKG K601 when it gets released. If you find the K271's veiled, you should probably steer clear of Sennheisers, and if you long for more soundstage, definitely avoid Grados and Alessandros.

Hope this helps!

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 4
If you need a closed headphone, and bass, the DT770 is probably where it's at for you (I just read your other thread). You won't get the AKG mids, but hey, you can't have everything. A900 might be another option there.

I must reiterate, however, get used to the sound of your AKGs. Eventually your ear will get accustomed to the way they sound, and bass ought to sound fairly 'normal'. Obviously coming from bass-heavy speakers a headphone with less bass is going to sound anemic. Same goes for the treble.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 4
try HD650 or DT880

Users who are viewing this thread

Back